RECMGMT-L February 2001

Re: ARMA's involvement with NFPA 232

Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:23:32 -0800

text/plain

Diane-

I come from a different perspective on this... I started out as a RM,
then became an owner/operator of a commercial storage facility while
offering consulting services and am back in the RM arena again.  My
comments are from the viewpoint of a customer of commercial record
centers, looking to ARMA to be the "champion of the user population."
After all, they ARE the Association of Records Managers and
Administrators.

As I see it, if the commercial record center needs someone to stand
up for their needs and issues, they have PRISM... if they aren't
members and they feel they need a governing body to support their
viewpoints, they should be.

>(1)     The standard should be a *clear communication* of what levels of
>protection are required for vaults, for file rooms and for records centers.
>This is what it *says* it will do in the Introduction.  But, in practical
>fact, if you go to the standard looking for file room requirements or for
>records center requirements - you can't find them.  This is a problem for
>all of us - records managers, fire marshals, records center owners, etc.

So as I understand this, ARMA supports a "tiered" standard with
designations for three levels of protection?

Record Center
File Room
Vault

Does this mean ARMA's view is the standard should be three parts or
one standard with sub-standards for protection of varying types?  I'm
still a bit unclear on what ARMA wants to see the standard reflect.

>(2)     Classification of records is critical, and should be done by the
>records manager (or owner of the records).  From a fire marshal's
>perspective - all paper burns the same way.  But that's not the real issue.
>We believe the owner of the record should be the one to make the decision as
>to what level of protection they are going to use for which types of
>records. We have put in proposals to use official ANSI/ARMA definitions in
>the standard.  If accepted, the result would be to delete the term "useful
>records" and use real records management terminology such as active records,
>vital records, permanent records, inactive records, and historical records.
>We have also proposed revising the definitions for archives and records
>centers to match ANSI/ARMA terminology.

Agree classification IS critical and that the owner of the records
should be the  one to establish the classification. Also agree the
owner needs to decide at what level they want protection provided,
but don't agree that using the RM terminologies listed is how that is
determined.

If there is a proposal pending to revise the definitions used by
archives and record centers, there needs to be some clarification of
how these terms are applied by owners as well.  I don't think all
owners of records utilize an ANSI/ARMA standard when they negotiate
their storage contracts... in fact, I don't think the vast majority
of owners do.  The individuals that are cognizant of these standards
and terms are well aware of what level of protection they require for
their records and in most cases, request a level "equal to or higher
than" required for their records.

Also, I can't see the value associated with tying a standard to
active vs. inactive or vital vs. permanent or historical.  Some of
these terms are subjective, depending on the type of business or the
age of a business... some businesses may never reach the
classification that's related to "historical", but all of the records
they store may nonetheless be viewed as "vital" to their organization.

>(3)     We also know the reality - that if all record centers are built as
>vaults - they will be expensive, and those costs will be passed along to the
>customers.  Now, if you want the extra protection, and are willing to pay
>for it - that's one thing.  But, if the standard isn't clear on varying
>levels of protection and you wind up paying for vault storage when your
>classification of the records indicates that's not necessary - we don't
>think the standard does its job.

If a firm requires the level of protection offered by a vault,they
will seek out a vendor offering that level of protection.  If the
standard run-of-the-mill record center isn't offering that, then the
client needs to look elsewhere.  But the use of the term vault needs
to be clearly defined.

I don't think the intention of NFPA 232 is to mandate that all
commercial storage facilities be classified as vaults, it's intent
seems to be to establish a standard for record centers over a certain
size and that a UNIFORM standard be applied to the construction and
level of fire protection provided by those centers.

The requirement for in-rack sprinklers in racks over certain height
has nothing to do with "vault-type" protection.  It has to do with
the fact that if firebreaks of some form aren't provided when volume
is that great, it will be virtually impossible to stop a fire before
it becomes a total loss.

>Our feeling is that the above position represents a "win-win" for everyone.

My main concern when seeing the differing schools of thought on this
standard is the primary focus seems to be to protect the storage
providers, NOT the customers... and that isn't why standards
governing design and operation of commercial entities are generally
developed.

>I did post to the listserv back in January - stating some of my background
>and viewpoints on the standard.  It's item #006109 in the archives

Looking at this post you reference, I don't know what your (ARMA's)
focus is- is it the clarification of terms, the appropriateness of
combining the two standards, the costs associated with complying with
the standard as issued, or the fact that no one seemed to care enough
to voice their opinion when the standard was issued and now "they"
(whoever they are) wants to see it changed?

I know you say "The bottom line is-- the owner of the records (i.e.,
the records manager) should have the information at hand to be able
to determine where they want to store their records."  but I don't
think records managers have any problem understanding what they're
getting when they store their records.

Most qualified RMs will physically review a facility prior to
entering into a contract agreement for storage of their
organization's records... their reputation rides on how well they do
this  The biggest problem I've always had is the misrepresentation of
the facility by providers in their documentation or the fact that the
facility changes hands or relocates after the contract has been
issued and the secondary provider or facility doesn't meet the same
standards as when the contract was entered into.

No sig file on this posting, because it isn't from me as the RM for
my organization... it's from me, the Records Manager. We currently
operate our own storage facility and/or store records at the Federal
Record Center, both of which meet or exceed the standards required
for the records being stored therein.

Larry Medina