Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  February 2001

RECMGMT-L February 2001

Re: Water Damage Recommendations

"Frederic J. Grevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:18:58 -0500

text/plain

> I arrived in my office today to learn that a water pipe had
exploded
> in the basement of our building over the weekend. I've not been
> allowed down there to assess damage yet, but rumor has it that many of
> our semi-active records are wet. Does anyone have experience with
> freeze drying and/or vendors they could point me toward? Any
> recommendations and/or information would be greatly appreciated!

Cristine,

{PRIVATE}{HYPERLINK "http://lcweb.loc.gov/preserv/"}{PRIVATE "TYPE=PIC
T;ALT=Preservation - Library of Congress"}{HYPERLINK "http://lcweb.loc
.gov/preserv/"}The material copied below is from the Library of
Congress Web site (Preservation). I also have a hard copy of their
publication "Procedures for Salvage of Water-Damaged Library
Materials", which I can get over to you ASAP (I'll take it up myself,
if necessary).
Best of luck,

     Emergency Drying Procedures for Water Damaged Collections
Safety Precautions:
Wearprotective, latex gloves and long sleeves.
If mold is present, wear a respirator. Some mold species are toxic;
if any health effects are observed, contact a doctor and/or
mycologist. When cleaning items with dry mold, make sure the mold
spores are drawn way from you, i.e. by the use of a vacuum cleaner.
Wash your hands after handling materials with mold.
Air-drying:
Use fans to provide maximum air circulation but do not aim fans
    directly at the drying materials.
Absorb excess moisture using a clean sponge, paper or bath towels,
etc. Do not blot on hand-written ink or fragile surfaces. Do not use
printed newsprint for blotting; ink can transfer.
Air-drying Paper Documents, Maps, Posters, etc:
Paperis very fragile when wet and must be handled with care, provide
    adequate support.
Blotexcess water off the documents.
Do  not attempt to separate individual items while very wet. You may
    leave them in stacks no higher than 1/4" to dry.
If pages can be separated safely they can be interleaved using
absorbent or separating materials, such as waxed paper. Change
interleaving materials until item is dry.
Clean, unrusted window-screens stacked with bricks or wood blocks
between them will provide a drying surface with maximum air
circulation. If drying items on a hard surface, cover area with
absorbent materials and change when wet. When items are almost dry,
place them between protective sheets such as unprinted newsprint and
put a light weight on them to flatten.
Note: If the item is too wet when placed under weights, you may
create a micro-environment for mold.
Air-drying Framed Items:
Placethe frame glass-side down and remove the backing materials.
Carefullyremove object and air-dry.
If the object is stuck to the glass, do not remove; instead dry frame
with object inside, glass side down on a flat surface.
Air-drying Books:
Fan books open and stand on top or bottom edge; never stand them on
    the front edge.
Standbooks on driest edge first to provide support. As the book
    dries turn it upside-down to the opposite edge every few hours.
Place a sheet of waxed paper larger than the pages between the front
and back cover and adjacent page before standing on edges. Replace
the interleaving as it becomes saturated.
When the book is no longer wet, but still cool to the touch, close
and place on a solid surface with a slight weight to keep distortion
to a minimum. Check frequently to ensure that no mold is growing.
Air-drying Photographic Materials:
Somehistorical photographs are very sensitive to water damage and
    may not be recoverable.
Mostprints, negatives and color slides can be air-dried. The
    emulsion (picture or image) side should be face up.
Avoidtouching the front surface of wet or damp photographic prints
    or negatives.
Note: The emulsion side often appears less glossy on negatives and
color slides. To speed drying time, dry items on a clothesline using
wooden or non-abrasive plastic clothespins. If the photographs or
negatives are stuck together or the emulsion is damaged, contact a
photographic conservator or your local historical society or museum
for advice.
If photographic materials are covered with mud or dirt and are still
wet, they may be gently rinsed in a bucket of cold, clean water, or a
light stream of cold water, and then dried. Contact a photographic
conservator. Do not freeze them unless advised to do so by a
conservator.
Recovery of Water-damaged Collections with Mold:
Activemold looks either fuzzy or slimy.
Do  not attempt to remove active mold.
Dormantmold is dry and powdery. See safety precautions above for
    handling mold.
Stop mold outbreaks by improving environmental conditions. Humidity
levels should be as low as possible below 75%. Use a dehumidifier.
Low temperatures -- below 68 F -- are recommended.
Short exposure to sunlight and circulating air outdoors may help to
dry moldy items more rapidly.
Note:There may be light damage (fading or discoloration); use this
treatment only with materials where some light damage is acceptable.
When the mold has become dormant through drying it can be removed,
using a vacuum cleaner and/or a soft brush. After vacuuming, dispose
of bag. Clean brushes to prevent spreading the mold spores. Safety
precautions are particularly important in this stage.
Water damage to materials may be irreversible. The treatment of items
of high monetary, historic or sentimental value should be referred to
a conservator.
To select the professional best qualified to treat your object,
contact the referral service maintained by The Foundation of the
American Institute for Conservation (FAIC). They will provide you
with a list of conservators in your area that can help you find
appropriate conservation treatment:
The Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation (FAIC)
1717 K Street, NW, Suite 301
Washington, D.C. 20006
Telephone (202) 452-9545
FAX (202) 452-9328
E-mail: {HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]
WWW:
{HYPERLINK "http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/"}http://palimpsest.sta
nford.edu/aic/
The preservation procedures described here have been used by the
Library of Congress in the care of its collections and are considered
suitable by the Library as described; however, the Library will not
be responsible for damage to your collection should damage result
from the use of these procedures.
Revised 12/1998

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin,
Technology Coordinator
The City of New York, Department of Finance
31 Chambers Street (room 201)
New York  NY 10007  USA
phone:  (212) 788-8519
fax:  (212) 788-8521
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the policy of the City of New York