]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  February 2001, Week 1

PSYART February 2001, Week 1

AT LAST! THE 2001 INTERNATIONAL LIT-AND-PSYCH CONFERENCE

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Feb 2001 15:22:03 -0500

text/plain

Dear PSYARTers:

HEADLINE: THE INTERNATIONAL LITERATURE-AND-PSYCHOLOGY CONFERENCE WILL TAKE
PLACE!  IT WILL BE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS IN THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS (THE
GREEK PART) FROM MAY 15-20.  PLEASE NOTE THE EARLY DEADLINES!

You can also view this announcment and register at
<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/2001.htm>.

As some of you already know and the rest have probably surmised, we have had to
cancel our Jerusalem destination for the 2001 conference because of the turmoil
there.  Shuli Barzilai had worked out some splendid tourist plans for us, and we
want very much to be able to use her good work another year.  Indeed, we would
all like to see a peaceful solution for Palestinians and Israelis, doubtful as
that appears at the moment.

Fortunately, our long-time attendee Joan Montgomery Byles has stepped into the
breach.  Joan organized our very fine 1991 conference at Regent's College,
London, with its memorable party at the Freud House.  She has invited us to the
University of Cyprus, an exciting destination.

As ever, we invite papers that use psychoanalysis or other psychologies to
address literature, film, or othr arts such as photography, dance, or music.  We
welcome the participation of both scholars and mental health clinicians.  Papers
can be of any length, but limit your abstract to 150 words absolute maximum and
limit your presentation time to 20 minutes.  If you wish, we will consider your
paper for the PSYART journal.

Our dates will be May 15-May 20. This is very early for us, and we recognize
that it presents problems for some of our European attendees and for analysts
with patient schedules in May.  These are the only dates we can manage,
however.  We hope that the chance to visit Cyprus and Greece will lure you all
anyway.

Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean, with Neolithic
archaeological sites dating from 6000 BCE.  The island has been divided since
1974 into a northern, Turkish part and a southern, Greek part, the latter a
major tourist destination.  We will be in the Republic of Cyprus, the Greek
part, in Nicosia (Lefkosia), which boasts Venetian fortifications and an
outstanding collection of archaeological materials in the Cyprus Museum.  Our
feminist conferees might appreciate that in ancient times the island was sacred
to Aphrodite.  Today, continuing that tradition, it is celebrated for "fun in
the sun" at the coastal resorts.  Also, outside of Nicosia/Lefkosia, there are
unique Byzantine church frescoes in tiny monasteries in the Troodos Mountains.
Despite travel restrictions, if you start from the Greek part, you can visit on
a day-trip, the less-touristed Turkish part.  In North Nicosia (Lefkosa) you
will find the Selimiye Mosque, and you can indulge yourself at the Buyuk Hammam,
a world-famous working Turkish bath

We will be going at one of the best times of year to visit, and we will be
staying at the 5-star Hilton.  (You can get a look at it at
<http://www.hotelbook.com/static/welcome_01300.html>.)  The hotel is a 5-minute
walk from the campus of the University of Cyprus where we will be holding our
meetings.  We anticipate temperatures of 60-85 degrees F or 15-30 C, and the
hotel is air-conditioned.
Please register and send us your registration fee and abstract quickly.  Because
of the May dates, our schedule is very tight.  Registrations will have to be
final (note that we cannot refund if you cancel) by March 15, and the conference
will begin on May 15.  You will also have to be CAREFUL about cancelling with
the hotel.  They will charge you 30% of the TOTAL BILL that you reserved for if
you cancel after March 30.

I have found a number of web sites with information about Cyprus, and I list
them below with my recommendations.  These will be useful to you if you plan to
spend a few days touring before or after the conference (as Jane and I plan to
do).

Best, Norm

www.lonelyplanet.com. Very good.

www.cosmosnet.net/azias/cyprus/c-main.html.  Well-organized commercial site,
includes daily news from Cyprus, streaming radio and tv
http://www.yourcyprus.com.   Spin-off from above site, mildly useful

www.welcometocyprus.com.  Well-organized site for info on car hire, hotels, etc.

http://www.ucy.ac.cy/           The home page of the University of Cyprus.  The
"AboutCyprus" link will take you to the government's official page, not very
useful, except for daily news of Cyprus--what is on Cypriotes' minds.

www.cypnet.com/cyradise/cyradise.html
                                Information on Northern Cyprus

www.windowoncyprus.com  A very commercial, confusing site.

For a complete registration, we require three items:

   1) registration form (see below)
   2) brief abstract of paper (150 words maximum)
   3) check for $125 made out to GAP-INTERNATIONAL

Transportation:

You can fly from Athens to Cyprus (Larnaca) via Olympic or Cyprus Air.
There are also daily flights from Paris to Larnaca via Air France, and
flights from other European capitals such as Rome.  We are trying to
arrange transport from the airport to the hotel.

Tentative schedule:

May 15: Arrival.  Reception 7:30 pm.
May 16: plenary address, morning meetings, afternoon tour
May 17: morning and afternoon meetings
May 18: morning and afternoon meetings
May 19: morning meetings, wrapup, afternoon tour, evening banquet
May 20: morning departure

Housing:

The conference will take place at the University of Cyprus campus. We will be
housed in the Hilton Cyprus, five minutes walk from the University.  We have
reserved 20 singles and 20 doubles.  Cost is 55 CYP for a single and 65 CYP for
a double room.  At present exchange rates (Cyprus pound = about $1.62 US) that's
$90 or $105.  Updated confversion rates can be obtained from
<http://www.xe.net/ucc>.  The price includes buffet breakfast, service charge,
tax, VAT, and access to the  pool, tennis and squash courts.

Contact :

Yiannakis Georgiou
Director of Sales
Hilton Cyprus
Archbishop Makarios III Avenue
PO Box 22023
1516 Nicosia, Cyprus

FAX:  011 (from U.S.) 357-2-376101

You will need to fax a photocopy of a credit card to hold your reservation.

Registration form is below:

<P>Registration Form:  International Conference on Literature and Psychology

                            May 15-20, 2001,     University of Nicosia, Cyprus

    Conference dates are May 15-20, 2001 at University of Nicosia,
 Cyprus.  Deadline for registration is March 15, 2001, and there can be no
refunds of your registration fee after that date.  You should cancel hotel
reservations before April 15--otherwise a substantial charge.

For a complete registration, we require three items:

   1) registration form
   2) abstract of paper (150 words maximum; words after 150 will be deleted)
   3) check for $125 made out to GAP-International.

Send  all registration materials to  Ms. Sonja Moreno,

         Mailing address:

         Sonja Moreno
         IPSA
         Department of English
         PO Box 117310
         University of Florida
         Gainesville FL 32611-7310

Reply to Mrs. Moreno directly.  Therefore
start a new message and copy the form into it.  Then fill out the form
and send it to Mrs. Moreno, [log in to unmask] .

                         Registration Form

 Title     First Name           M.I.       Last Name

                            Affiliation
 Department:_____________________________________________________
 University or
 other:___________________________________________________________
 Address:_________________________________________________________
 City                         State   Postcode   Country

 Address to mail to if different from above:
 City                         State   Postcode   Country

 Business Phone:__________________________________________________
 Home Phone:______________________________________________________
 Fax Phone:_______________________________________________________
 e-mail address:__________________________________________________

 Language your paper will be in (English, French, German):

 Title of your paper:_____________________________________________

 Equipment needed (VCR, tape recorder, slides, etc.)______________

                  Preliminary Housing Information

  Add flight numbers, arrival and departure times  when you know them:

 (Conference dates are May 15-20;we assume most conferees will arrive
 May 15 and leave the morning of May 20)

 Housing needs (one person, two, or three?):______________________

 Name(s) of accompanying

 Do you have any special dietary needs (e.g., vegetarian)?