Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Unsubscribing listserv

Chareane Wimbley-Gouveia <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 May 2001 17:10:01 -0700

text/plain

Since I just joined listserv, I have the following info readily at hand, which I forward to you below.  Hopefully, the answer you want is included: being new, I didn't delete anything that might be important!

Your subscription to the LRNASST list (Open Forum for Learning Assistance
Professionals) has been accepted.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you are subscribing to an electronic mailing list. If you ever
need to leave  the list, you will find the  necessary instructions below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send  mail to [log in to unmask] This  is called "sending
mail to the list," because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([log in to unmask])  is also  called the  "list address."  You
must  never try  to send  any command  to that  address, as  it would  be
distributed to all  the people who have subscribed. All  commands must be
sent to the "LISTSERV address," [log in to unmask] It is very
important to understand  the difference between the  two, but fortunately
it is  not complicated. The  LISTSERV address is  like a FAX  number that
connects you  to a  machine, whereas  the list address  is like  a normal
voice line connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the
FAX number  when you  wanted to talk  to someone on  the phone,  you will
quickly realize  that you used the  wrong number and call  again. No harm
will have been done. If on the  other hand you accidentally make your FAX
call  someone's  voice  line,  the  person receiving  the  call  will  be
inconvenienced, especially if your FAX then re-dials every 5 minutes. The
fact that  most people  will eventually  connect the  FAX machine  to the
voice line to  allow the FAX to  go through and make the  calls stop does
not mean  that you  should continue  to send FAXes  to the  voice number.
People would just get mad at you.  It works pretty much the same way with
mailing  lists, with  the difference  that  you are  calling hundreds  or
thousands of people  at the same time, and consequently  you can expect a
lot of people to get upset if  you consistently send commands to the list
address.

You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF LRNASST" command
to [log in to unmask] You can also tell LISTSERV how you want
it to confirm the receipt of messages you send to the list. If you do not
trust the  system, send a "SET  LRNASST REPRO" command and  LISTSERV will
send  you a  copy of  your own  messages, so  that you  can see  that the
message was distributed and did not get damaged on the way. After a while
you  may find  that this  is getting  annoying, especially  if your  mail
program does not  tell you that the  message is from you  when it informs
you that new  mail has arrived from  LRNASST. If you send  a "SET LRNASST
ACK  NOREPRO" command,  LISTSERV will  mail you  a short  acknowledgement
instead, which will  look different in your mailbox  directory. With most
mail programs you  will know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement
you can read later. Finally, you can turn off acknowledgements completely
with "SET LRNASST NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been set to "SHORTHDR ACK"  rather than the usual LISTSERV defaults.
For more information  about subscription options, send  a "QUERY LRNASST"
command to [log in to unmask]

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the available archive files by sending an "INDEX LRNASST" command
to [log in to unmask] You  can then order these  files with a
"GET  LRNASST  LOGxxxx"  command,  or using  LISTSERV's  database  search
facilities. Send an  "INFO DATABASE" command for more  information on the
latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version  of the  postings,  just  issue  a SET  LRNASST  DIGEST
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to LISTSERV@L