Skip repetitive navigational links

"Knight, Sue R." <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 May 2001 13:45:13 -0400

text/plain

Thank you!! I received a total of 48 responses. Not all included the
institution name, those that did are listed at the end:

It was challenging to compile the responses because I suspect in many cases
we use different terminologies to describe the same thing and the same
terminologies to describe different things.  I tried! :-)

1.      Do you have peer tutoring available for all courses?

18      Yes
7       No
23      Just Core or Fundamental Courses

2.      How is your tutoring program funded? (Many of these were a
combination of sources.)

1       I don't know
7       Student Services, Student Government, Student Activities, Housing
Budget
11      Grants (Perkins, Trio, Chancellor's Advisory Committee, Lottery
money)
33      Institution (Provost, Academic Affairs, Academic Budget, General
University Fund, Vocational Ed)
5       Work/Study
1       Private Donation

3.      How much are your peer tutors paid per hour?
One school's tutors are not paid but receive credit for the course.
One school provides room and board for tutors who work in residence halls. I
used the starting rate for most but if there was a wide range between
starting rate and the highest amount, I averaged them.

5       5.15
5       5.40
3       5.65
2       6.00
5       6.25
1       6.40
9       6.50
1       6.75
8       7.00
3       7.50
2       8.15
1       9.15
1       10.00

Another view of that data:
9       6.50
8       7.00
5       5.15
5       5.40
5       6.25
3       5.65
3       7.50
2       6.00
2       8.15
1       6.40
1       6.75
1       9.15
1       10.00

4.  Do student pay any fee for tutoring?
One school charges $1/hr for all tutoring.
One said indirectly - because tutoring is paid out of student fees.
46 said no fee is charged for tutoring

5. Do you have tutors available for drop-in tutoring?
        For writing only        1
        For math and computer only      1
        During specific periods 2
        No      7
        Yes     37 (of those, 4 had only drop-in tutoring)

6. Do you have group tutoring or SI?
        6       No
        32      Yes
        6       Have a modified version of SI

7. What hours is your tutoring center open?
        One school does not have a "center" with hours available
        One school's lab is open 24/7

Most have hours close to 9am-9pm Monday thru Thursday (Several have hours
during that period that they are closed for an hour or two.)
Most have a half day Friday (usually in the morning).
Saturday very few have hours and they are 3-4 hours late afternoon or
evening.
Sunday a few have evening hours.

8. Do you have any faculty/staff volunteers in your tutoring center?
        6       Yes
        37      No
        3       Occasionally
        2       N/A

9. Do you offer tutoring in the residence halls?
        9       Not applicable
        4       Yes
        28      No
        4       Skills Workshops
        3       Occasionally

10. Do you have online tutoring?
        9       Yes
        38      No
        1       Study skills and writing only

11 Is yours a two year or four year school?
        18      Two
        30      Four

Avila College
Butte College