Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Academic Integrity - reply

"Gary K. Probst" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:13:57 -0400

text/plain

Gary Probst wrote:

I use MathXL as a pretest to determine if you are ready to take the "real
test."  I require the students to go to the college testing center and take
chapter examinations.  The students are permitted to take the regular chapter
tests given in regular math classes or they can take tests covering three
chapter that I developed for the Prealgegra and Beginning Algebra textbooks.
Currently, I am developing tests to be used on MathLX because I was just given
premission to give proctored tests on the computers in the college testing
center.

Most students take the individual chapter tests.  I created the three chapter
tests because I thought online students would not want to come to campus to take
tests frequently.

For my college reading and study skills class I have individual assignments that
are applied to material in the student's textbook.  Therefore, while a student
can have someone else do the assignment, I figure this is their problem if they
do not learn anything.  Because of the student's questions about the work, I
really feel that all of the student are doing their own work.  Also, I call them
several times a semester and question them about what they are doing.

Academic integrity must be maintained for online courses in order for them to be
successful.  I have handicapped government workers who cannot come to the
college testing center.  I mail the training division the tests and they
administer the tests and mail the tests back to me.  Currently, I am working on
an online prison developmental math program and all of the tests will taken on
MathXL.  However, the education department in the prison will watch/proctor the
"students" take the tests.

The mathematics materials that go with the textbooks using MathXL makes the
expensive mathematics programs that you have to purchase obsolete.  I have seen
the new program called Compass that will replace MathXL and I wonder, "Does it
make instructors obsolete?"  No instructor can provide instruction for each
individual student like this program provides.  I think the instructional design
used by Compass in the future will be used by all courses.  No one will want to
take a course in geology with 5000 other students in a large auditorium like I
did.

The instructor role now will change to becoming a learning coach.  My students
need a learning coach.

You can read my syllabus at

http://academic.pg.cc.md.us/~gprobst/

Richardson Cris wrote:

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C145C6.10E21E20
>
> Hello, all...
> I am gathering some information for a meeting this afternoon (don't you love
> plenty of notice? I found out yesterday afternoon.) regarding our online
> courses and testing. Some concern has been expressed regarding academic
> integrity. Some of us test online exclusively. Our math courses have the
> option of a password-protected, proctored test because of the online support
> that comes with our texts (MATHXL). Our basic writing and reading classes
> are in an eCollege format that does not allow that option.
>
> One suggestion has been to have a couple of paper-and-pencil, proctored
> tests during the semester to keep 'em honest. I have tried to stay away from
> that, but I certainly understand the issues. We don't want to get a
> reputation as an "easy" way to clear any academic deficiencies.
>
> I know others out there are pioneers in online courses and developmental
> studies. Does anyone have any suggestions for an over-arching policy or any
> recommendations? Of course, I need all this by 2 pm.;-)
>
> Actually, we will probably have time to formulate a policy after the
> meeting. I'd just like to go into this preliminary meeting with some
> information.
>
> Thanks,
> Cris Richardson
> Assistant Director, Learning Center
> Rogers State University
> 1701 W. Will Rogers Blvd.
> Claremore, OK  74017
> 918.343.7727
> www.rsu.edu
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C145C6.10E21E20
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
> 5.5.2654.45">
> <TITLE>Academic Integrity</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hello, all...</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am gathering some information for a meeting this =
> afternoon (don't you love plenty of notice? I found out yesterday =
> afternoon.) regarding our online courses and testing. Some concern has =
> been expressed regarding academic integrity. Some of us test online =
> exclusively. Our math courses have the option of a password-protected, =
> proctored test because of the online support that comes with our texts =
> (MATHXL). Our basic writing and reading classes are in an eCollege =
> format that does not allow that option.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>One suggestion has been to have a couple of =
> paper-and-pencil, proctored tests during the semester to keep 'em =
> honest. I have tried to stay away from that, but I certainly understand =
> the issues. We don't want to get a reputation as an &quot;easy&quot; =
> way to clear any academic deficiencies. </FONT></P>

> [...]

April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021