RECMGMT-L September 2001

ARMA's FFR (Famous Forbes Report)

"bruce f. evans" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:49:05 -0400

text/plain

Message text written by Records Management Program
>The document forming the basis for SIM- Is this enough to convince YOU???

http://www.arma.org/news/forbes_offrecord.cfm

<

Not nsure who wrote this (no attribution in the e-mail) or where I lost the
train of thought in this thread but I did read it and "convince" me of
what?

As a BTW slides are often like statistics - they can be interpreted to mean
what you want them to mean especially if one wasn't there to hear the
content and context (does that mean the slides alone are not a record of
the presentation? :0)  )  So while some may see some of the language in the
bullets as alarming I did not - either from an RM, IRM or IM standpoint.  I
saw nothing startling so I would appreciate clearity of the concern.

and regarding Peter's note as follows

Message text written by Records Management Program
>...There are several links down at the bottom of the page. One in
particular
has been mentioned and posted to this list several times over the past few
months. and that is this one Strategic Information Management Overview."
Robert Lagas, Office of
Information Resources Management, National Institutes of Health. This is a
personal summary of the GAO Executive Guide: Improving Mission Performance
Through Strategic Information Management and Technology (GAO/AIMD-94-115).
Available at http://wwwoirm.nih.gov/itmra/simovrvw.html (Accessed August 3,
2001.)

This particular GAO report is 7 yes 7 years old. The strategic information
management process it refers to is an IT function. I will let Larry Medina
expound on it as he has had discussions with the author earlier this year.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia
Office: 804-744-1247 x23
Fax: 804-744-4947
mailto:[log in to unmask]
<

With great regard for Peter's usually targeted and accurate assessments I
disagree strongly with his assessment regarding the
content and tone of the report being "an IT function" as I read his comment
above.  Indeed the following quotes from the report
dispute that characterization:

"The administration's dramatic goals, ranging from setting customer service
standards for all federal agencies to making targeted
improvements in major areas, cannot be achieved without successful
information management.  For example, improvements from
reengineering with the aid of information technology...  (note the word
"aid" - Bruce's comment)

 ...Strategic information management (i.e., managing information and
information technology to maximize improvements in mission
performance) will also be a crucial initiative for all federal agencies...
(note both information AND technology are included - Bruce's comment)

...as they move to implement the Government Performance and Results Act,
which is focused on results-oriented management.  With it,
improved management information and restructured work processes can
gradually reduce costs and increase service levels.  Without it,
many agencies will find their efforts to move to results-oriented
management hindered by their inability to develop vital data and useful
information systems that support performance measurement and substantive
mission improvements...  (note information management and
work processes are the drivers identified here - NOTtechnology - Bruce's
comment)

...Rather than continuing to analyze the causes of failure, we decided to
learn how leading organizations, private or public, consistently apply
information technology to improve mission performance... The senior
leadership of the successful organizations we studied took
information management very seriously.  Increasingly asked to do more with
less, they have learned to focus carefully on the stream of dollars
invested
in information technology and critical information resources and knowledge
assets.  New ways of managing information and information technology
have become either a critical path or a stumbling block to nearly every
significant level of performance improvement. ...

Among other factors, strategic information management makes a difference by

-  enhancing decision-making at all levels by providing better
   quality, more relevant, and more timely data and information,
   delivered to the right people at the right time;

-  driving the simplification and automation of processes, tasks, and
   transactions to increase speed, lower costs, and improve
   productivity and quality; and

-  improving the integration of employees and customers by connecting
   them in new ways over large geographic areas and organizational
   boundaries.

Strategic Information Management:Fundamental Practices

...Strategic information management typically involves defining a mission
based on customer segments and needs; establishing core processes that
accomplish the
mission; understanding the key decisions that guide mission delivery
processes; supporting those decisions with the right information available
to the right people at the right time; and using technology to collect,
process, and disseminate information... (note how technology and its
application FOLLOWS process analysis and development in all the above -
Bruce's comment) "

SO - I would have to say the report (there is much more detail to
substantiate this impression) emphasizes strategic management of
information (a significant component of SIM and the proposed ARMA effort as
I understand it) and NOT a terchnological focus.

Regards and safe travel to all going to Montreal.  I'll be there as
declaration of freedom from fear and hope you will be also.

Bruce Evans, CRM/NS
CIBER Consulting, Inc.