PSYART September 2001, Week 4

Pointing out bad things America's done

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:12:39 -0400

text/plain

I read with interest Jean Hantman's post on the viciousness of attacks on the
U.S. following the events of 11 September. I have the following to offer.

>To Kathy Agar and all:
>Dear Kathy,
>Your posting on the viciousness of the verbal attacks on the United
>States by educated people was greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
>As an observer of discussions, with a desire for progress rather than
>status quo chit-chat, I'm less interested in whether or not this one or that
>one is "right" about America, and who has the best facts proving this and
>that about who's the most evil person on earth.
>So much of political discussion is actually free association under the
>illusion that points are being made and taken in by the opposition.
>In order for progress rather than status quo to occur, it's simply not
>useful knowing how bad the U.S. is or how bad Islamic terrorists are or how
>America has given more money for humanitarian aid to Afghanistan than any
>other country on earth but so what, their bad outweighs their good by 84%
>blah blah blah (As Doris Lessing wrote of political discussions, "and, and,
>and, therefore, therefore, therefore".)

Having not read the particular posts or heard them verbally, this is
difficult to comment on. What I have seen is a desperate desire on the part
of some friends of mine, and some journalists or commentators, to show or
explore reasons behind the "why" of the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon. This
is the critical question that our media (in what I've seen on CNN and in the
NYTimes) has by and large repressed, or suppressed. There is a shocking lack
of desire to even ask this question, much less answer it. If an interest in
this perspective or the history of American foreign policy raises its head in
our media, it is clearly overshadowed by the overwhelming rhetoric of, and
assent for, war that we find everywhere else: in the newspapers, on TV, in
the omnipresent American flags hanging from buildings, posted in shop
windows, dangling from sticks in breast pockets. The flag as a talisman or
prophylactic is evident everywhere. Europeans I know are less angry in what
they say than sadly shaking their heads (cf. the post on Pat Robertson's
comments) at the reckless foreign policy decisions our various leaders have
made over the last 20+ years which have essentially created the situation we
are in right now. (The New Yorker profile on bin Laden scratches the surface
on this:
http://www.newyorker.com/FROM_THE_ARCHIVE/ARCHIVES/?010917fr_archive07 )

>As someone who's interested in progress, not status quo, I'd like to
>know the motives of all those who make points in discussions.
>I've been studying political discussion for twenty years and have come
>up with a list of many possible motives for exposing the sins of a person or
>group. Here I'll present only three of the many.

My motive, which has as far as I know never been motivated by rage, is the
dearth of balanced coverage on this issue.

>1. the sake of simple truth. For the sake of truth we ought to know that
>the United States is bad. Except that if truth is genuinely the motive of the
>speaker, the truth-teller would have to widen it to present not only the bad
>of the United States but the good, and continue on to the bad of the
>terrorists as well as the good. In other words if Truth is a person's genuine
>motive, the whole truth would be presented. Obviously, telling the whole
>truth in this discussion is not a motive and the depressive position has been
>avoided yet again. In many discussions I've observed the speaker will seem to
>be even and fair but it's evident to all that when his pet points are being
>made his tone of voice becomes excited, more descriptive, desperate. Freud
>said the truth leaks so if Truth is your motive be careful what's leaking
>instead.

Well, this sounds like you're suggesting that the better way to tell the
(factual?) Truth is to censor anything that smacks of emotion, because it
will undermine the truth effects of your discourse. I know you don't
literally mean this. Perhaps the problem with the truth-tellers in question
is that in their zeal to present the other side of the argument, they have
neglected to mention their desire to balance the scales of information.
Again, the posts I've seen have not polarized themselves into America = bad
and … I'm trying to imagine the alternative here, Terrorism/bin Laden = good?
They do make a case for the fact that America HAS done "bad" things, engaged
in acts that, via the rhetoric of international diplomacy, become labeled
something else; to quote Chomsky quoting Stohl:

'To call it a "war against terrorism," however, is simply more propaganda,
unless the "war" really does target terrorism. But that is plainly not
contemplated. Perhaps I may quote political scientist Michael Stohl: "We must
recognize that by convention -- and it must be emphasized _only_ by
convention -- great power use and the threat of the use of force is normally
described as coercive diplomacy and not as a form of terrorism," though it
commonly involves "the threat and often the use of violence for what would be
described as terroristic purposes were it not great powers who were pursuing
the very same tactic," in accord with the literal meaning of the term.'

And if part of the truth that leaks is frustration and anger at the lack of
balanced coverage, or at the history of the government's Middle Eastern
policy (or whatever that leaking truth may be), well, then why can't that
truth be usefully understood as such--along with the text of the message--
rather than throwing out the baby with the bath water? Jean's reading appears
to me to polarize text and mode (or affect/motivation), and finds in favor of
reading one over the other rather than both at the same time. We discard at
our peril.

[On this question, read Shoshana Felman's careful analysis of the
relationship (polarized to the detriment of both) between psychoanalysis and
feminism in her What Does a Woman Want?]

>2. Another motive for exposing the badness of an Other is enlightenment
>and change. The speaker making points has as a motive the enlightenment of
>the United States in the hope that it will see its evil ways, see the light,
>stop doing bad things in other parts of the world and help the world come
>together in a way it never has before. That is a good motive, it's loving as
>well as truthful. However, in the context of the mass murder on the United
>States less than two weeks ago the patient (the United States) is not quite
>ready to use the accurate information about its role in getting thousands of
>its people turned into dust and ash in two seconds flat on a sunny morning in
>September.
>In other words, to use the interesting Canadian example, a woman who has
>just been brutally raped might need to learn the role of miniskirts on
>deserted streets at nighttime. She won't find it useful though, not less than
>two weeks after she was bloodied and smeared with semen as she was pinned
>down with a knife at her throat. She simply won't be open to enlightenment
>and behavior change at that particular time. In fact if she understood the
>unconscious she'd theorize that the person giving her interesting information
>about miniskirts was unconsciously trying to induce her to violence, not
>progressive change. So when a point-maker is genuinely interested in
>enlightenment and positive world change, he automatically considers the
>context and timing of his brilliant points and indisputable facts.

I find your analogy problematic and incomplete (but of course, all analogies
are incomplete). The nation is not a woman, our nation was not raped, and we
were not attacked because of our lust-inducing finery. (I've toyed with the
idea of outlining a competing analogy: wife of bullying man beaten up, or
killed, by angry enemies of said man. But it seems beside the point.) The
point of your analogy, I think, is to establish that enlightenment in the
face of awful tragedy is a difficult proposition. People don't want to hear
"brilliant points and indisputable facts" at such a time, at a time like
this. I also assume that this falls under your main point, which is that
these surface motivations are subsumed to your larger argument that there is
something else going on--i.e. that the "truth-teller" is not truly (or
entirely) motivated by enlightenment; that, in truth, there is an aggressive
or hostile tenor or desire at play. Yet, your point begs the question: when
is the proper time to sit our misguided young woman down to have our
helpfully explanatory chat with her about the semiotics of her dress and the
unfortunate effects they induce upon less enlightened (and apparently
otherwise un-violent, if not for the unfortunate hem-length of her skirt)
people than ourselves? Our nation is not a woman, it was not raped, but what
amazes me about the responses I've seen from outside New York (I mean, to be
clear, that the New Yorkers I know, and this is purely anecdotal, have been
remarkably cool-headed about the idea of going to war) is the hystericized
outrage that many women rarely evince when they've been raped. Many women and
men, for that matter, (not all, of course), but this is hardly new, many who
have been raped evince feelings of shame first, and feel precisely that they
invited this attack somehow.

We are seeing none of affect in America these days.

Instead, there is this interesting projective outrage from people as though
their own city had been attacked. Yet, so many of the people living in
Manhattan fail to register this particular response. Are we in shock? Are we
in denial? No doubt. What appears to me as a kind of self-righteous outrage
and projective mourning that finds its way out in newspapers and on
television screens is the interesting factor in all this. People in this
country are reacting as though they were personally attacked, but I should
have a much more likely reason for feeling that way than someone in Akron,
Ohio. It smacks almost of feeling left out, somehow; it smacks of an emotion
that one feels one should have rather than one actually felt due to an actual
experience of atrocity. Desire is the desire of the Other.

>The third (and last motive I want to present now) for making good points
>and accurate facts is rage. Overt rage is useful, disguised rage is impotent.
>Disguised rage is fine but it can't be hidden in the guise of wanting the
>world to be a better place. It simply doesn't have that effect on listeners,
>whose unconscious can tell a vicious attack when it hears on[e]. Vicious
attacks
>are a perfectly acceptable motive for making points, but when it's done in
>the guise of wanting the world to be a better place, who do you think you're
>fooling? You may as well say, I couldn't care less about the United States
>becoming enlightened and changing, I love having it continue to do stupid
>brutal things so that I can continue to project all of my own unresolved
>viciousness into that big mama, and feel like I'm the enlightened one.
>That's the third motive for excellent political points but remember, points
>and facts won't make the world a better place unless that's the genuine
>motive of the discussants. Examine your motive, then present the whole story.

And this strikes me, finally, as a brilliant description of the larger
portion of the response to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon. This rage may describe those writers and speakers "viciously"
"attacking" "America," as has been stated, but isn't it a much clearer
description of the war-loving rage evident nearly everywhere else?

Sounds suspiciously like … narcissism, to me.

steve schmersal
nyc
When a subject is highly controversial ... one cannot hope to tell the truth.
One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One
can only give one's audience the chance of drawing their own conclusions as
they observe the limitations, prejudices, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker
For in a question like this, truth is only to be had by laying together many
varieties of error.
Virginia Woolf  |  A Room of One's Own