Flamingo,ENP 10/10

Bryant Roberts <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:42:10 -0700

text/plain

I did a quick loop through the camping areas by way of Eco Pond
yesterday (10/9) and found only one new bird for this fall, a
Northern Harrier working east against a 20+ mph head wind with
surprisingly little effort. During about a half hour period 3 Broad-
winged Hawks, 1 Merlin, 1 American Kestrel, and 12 Barn
Swallows also passed eastward. The Brazilian Pepper control
project is proceeding, and the area between A Loop and the Trailer
(T) Loop has been cleared. They are now working around the north
side of B and C Loops and these areas are now closed. The trail
around Eco Pond has been opened for the time being, the eastern
third still hasn't been finished. It was a relief to see that the fig
trees and the Sea Oxeye and Saltbush patches on the north side
of the trail along with the are still there. These have been good
places for sparrows and buntings.

Today (10/10) I got out to Bear Lake Road and Bear Lake Trail for a
few hours, the only surprises were a rather late Louisiana
Waterthrush and my first Blackpoll this fall. Here are the totals:

Double-crested Cormorant - 5 (until recently I've only seen single
birds here)
Tricolored Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture - 3
Osprey - 6 (passing eastward)
Northern Harrier - 1 (passing eastward)
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2 (passing eastward)
Red-shouldered Hawk - 3
Broad-winged Hawk - 3 (passing eastward)
American Kestrel - 2 (passing eastward)
White-crowned Pigeon - 40
Belted Kingfisher - 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3