Skip repetitive navigational links

Ted's featured articles #5

Ted Panitz <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:11:53 -0400

text/plain

Hi Listers,

    Here is the fifth edition of Ted's featured articles. I chose two
articles that I hope
will encourage people to consider adopting student centered learning
approaches to
their teaching through cooperative learning techniques. The articles
provide very
specific descriptions of how to implement coop learning in biology and
mathematics.
If you use coop learning techniques in courses like biology and math,
which are so
very content oriented, then I would think you could use them in any
course.

   The articles may be accessed at my web site under featured articles
at:

http://home.capecod.net/~tpanitz
(Please note this is a new web site url for Ted's cooperative learning
page)

    I also have a request. Do you know of any articles similar to the
ones below that
give detailed descriptions of coop learning in specific courses?  Please
send the
references or web addresses to me directly and I will archive them or
send them
to the list. I would love to build a file of detailed examples that
might be useable
in an edited book.

   Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Ted

Featured articles #5

THE EVOLUTION OF A BIOLOGY COURSE: FROM STUDENT
PASSIVITY TO STUDENT ACCOUNTABILITY
Judy Moore and Eric Mould

When two instructors who had been lecturing in multiple sections of
introductory biology felt themselves going stale,they redesigned their
curriculum so that students learned actively through collaborative group

work. In this article, they describe the process of transforming the
class
to a more student-centered format, and describe the ways they
built in assessment activities. Data show increased retention and better

grades for students who experience the new, collaborative approach.

USING COOPERATIVE LEARNING 100% OF THE TIME IN
MATHEMATICS CLASSES ESTABLISHES ASTUDENT-CENTERED,
INTERACTIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Theodore Panitz

College teachers continue to deal with mathematics curriculum reform in
order to make mathematics more relevantand meaningful for students,
encourage students to think critically, and make the process of learning
mathematics
more student centered and interactive. AMATYC has established a set of
standards
for mathematics education before Calculus. The AMATYC Standards
(Cohen1995)
include a number of references for the need for learnercentered
approaches,
such as cooperative learning paradigms, in mathematics education. The
Standards,
however, do not prescribe specific methods for implementation of
cooperative
learning paradigms. This article attempts to fill the gap by describing
one approach
to implementing cooperative learning in mathematics classes, virtually
100% of
the time. By describing this maximum approach it is hoped that teachers
will be
encouraged to try cooperative learning at least part of the time in
their classes.

March 2020
February 2020
January 2020