Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: EDMS vs Paper Records
From: Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:24:51 -0800

As 98% of all information created in the western world is created electronically now, the
largest benefit is to get people to start managing from the planning phase of the life-cycle,
maintaining information as electronic, and to STOP printing to paper.  Just say no!

We could call it "stop the madness."  (Hmm, create electronic, print to paper $$$,  distribute
via manual methods $$$, file via manual methods by numerous recipients $$$, reference
via manual methods $$$, purge...hopefully all copies...via manual methods$$$..., and then
some genius thinks..."if only we had this available at the desktop" so the info, which is probably
still out there in a data-set or in an original line of business application, is now scanned back
into an EDMS and imaging system $$$$$$$$$$$$.....................)

Anybody ever play "ring around the rosie" when you were a kid?
Hopefully you get the picture?

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM

>>> "Schofield, Richard" <[log in to unmask]> 11/02/01 05:52AM >>>
Dear All

Although I appreciate that this is an open ended question, I will be very
grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of any detailed
cost/benefits analyses for scanning records into a Document Management
System (and its accompanying logistical issues) vs the costs of
'traditional' paper storage and manual retrieval. I am happy to ignore, for
now, the further issues of whether a business has a culture of recordkeeping
among its staff, that is developed suitably for EDMS.

I understand that this is an issue that crops up regularly on the list and
so apologise for repetition, but a trawl through the list archives has not
pulled up anything concrete and my eyes are starting to glaze over.

Many thanks

Rich

Richard Schofield
The Rothschild Archive