Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Tarps, etc.
From: Carla Hemsing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:14:10 -0700

I am new at this semi-active storage game, but as Patrick mentioned,
tarps would be a good idea.  There is a laundry facility above our
semi-active storage room, and about six weeks ago it was leaking through
the floor (roof of the semi-active area), down onto the boxes in the
semi-active area.  It wasn't bad, and was under control very quickly.
Had it been worse, tarps would have come in handy, which I didn't have,
but now will because of Patrick's suggestion.  This experience taught me
this:  Find out what is above / adjacent to your storage room, and try
to foresee, as best you can, what might happen and how you can minimize
the potential damage (be ready with tarps, etc.).  If you don't frequent
your storage room often for receiving, processing, etc., check it on a
regular basis, just for the sake of checking for damage.  Our operation
is small, and it might be weeks before I need to go to the semi-active
area to work, however, I now check it regularly.  I also log the dates
that I check so that if I do discover something wrong, we might be able
to determine the timeframe in which it happened or started -- how long
the water leak has been going on, etc.

Carla Hemsing, Records Management Coordinator
Lethbridge Community College
mailto:[log in to unmask]

List archives at