Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Intro from an old timer
From: Dave Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:55:14 -0800

Greetings.  If the definition of an old timer is one who worked in records
without the benefit of computers then I guess I qualify.  I have been in
ARMA since 1980, held the CRM since 1983 and on the list since 1995.

Like Patrick Cunningham I began in Archives -- also at the Illinois State
Archives.  At that time the state archives was in the secretary of state's
office who was also responsible for DMV.  Since Illinois at that time
required everyone to change their plates in January (sorry no tags) we were
able to use the DMV computers in their off season to generate a "key word
in context" index to our descriptive finding aid of the archives holdings.

  Since that time I worked at the Northeast Minnesota Historical Center,
VMS  Realty Partners, and Sandia National Laboratories, and as an
independent consultant.  I am currently Records and Archives Management
Group Leader at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.  Operations at the
Northeast Minnesota Historical Center were entirely manual.  When I started
at VMS we had dumb terminals hooked to a mainframe.  For a time when the
monthly A/R's were run no one could obtain access to their computers for
about a half of a day.

Fortunately at both Sandia and Lawrence Livermore I have had access to
"more or less" decent computer technology and manual records systems are a
distant memory.

Dave Gaynon