Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Retention (Committee)
From: Carla Hemsing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:35:41 -0700

I have a question specifically about committee records retention.  I
work at a community college, and our records classification schedule
breaks committee records down like this:

Committees & Meetings - Advisory
Committees & Meetings - Internal
Committees & Meetings - Internal - Academic Council
Committees & Meetings - External
(Board of Governors are NOT classified in the above - the BOG has its
own primary)

Right now, we have a blanket retention for ALL "committees & meetings -
internal", which is archive.  How is a decision made on which internal
committee records to archive -- is the "type" or "purpose" of the
committee a good indicator?

For example, we have described our key management committee as a "key
decision influencing group comprised of leadership representatives from
across the institution.  Its decisions and recommendations are carried
out and/or referred to the Board of Governors as appropriate for
consideration."   We will archive these records.  Likewise with our
Academic Council, which is "a requirement under the Colleges Act that
each public college have an academic council for the purpose of making
recommendations or reports to the Board of Governors on academic matters
as referred to Council by the Board."

Thank you.  I will summarize direct responses and post to the list.

--
Carla Hemsing, Records Management Coordinator
Lethbridge Community College