Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Retention (Committee)
From: "Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:46:09 -0500

Although we are not an educational institution, all minutes of all boards,
committees, subcommittees, and commissions are kept permanently by the
municipality.  Minutes of Committees of the Board of Aldermen are
"subgroups" of the Board minutes; working committees of the Aldermanic
Committees are subgroups of the Committee records; special committees formed
by the Mayor are subgroups of the Mayor's records; and so on.  In short, all
committees are presumably doing work which will influence the
decision-making process and/or public policy and, therefore, their minutes
are kept forever.

I would venture to guess that any university committee is an "internal"
committee, whereas an "external" committee would involve interaction with
another authority -- one outside of the educational institution -- which
would have recordkeeping requirements of its own.  However, I would
recommend keeping a copy of those "external" minutes within your
institution, as well, rather than trust another agency to do so.

The social historians would probably thank you, too.

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060