Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: How long will your CD's last? Or how long will they bereadable?
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:43:41 -0800

>I have many microfilm silver halide roles develop "J" spots
>and wipe out image when processed poorly.  Apparently this was prevalent on
>film processed in 1960s.  I guess I am just suggesting that one needs to QC
>microfilm masters and not assume they are going to last 500 years.  One might
>have to "migrate" poorly processed microfilm at some point.  I heard years ago
>that Canada had lost a significant portion of microfilmed vital records
>(births, etc.) from this problem.

Dick-

my recollection is this was attributed to things like storing diazo film
and/or reactive paper (3-part carbonless carbons, etc.)  or rubber bands in
the drawers with the silver halide film.

you're right though... and I'm sure that Bill will chime in here....
there's nothing like a well performed methyl blue test to ensure your film
was processed properly.  And establishing standards for storage of archive
quality film goes a long way to increasing the life expectancy.

Larry