Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: EDMS vs Paper Records
From: "Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:06:37 -0600

While I have read several such analyses in the past, I cannot seem to locate
them at the moment.  However, I have done several such analyses in the past,
for several different implementations.  I know the technology can offer very
attractive ROI's when compared to traditional paper filing systems.
However, every situation is different.

In one instance, the paper process would require up to 10 days to access the
record. The norm was 4 or 5. Imaging provided instant access.  In another,
the technology was used in place of dozens of highly trained paralegals.
Completing reviews of the paper files would have required days, weeks, or
even months.  Instead, the activity was done in minutes using individuals
trained internally to use the software tools.

Need further examples, take a look at the nearest website.  Think about how
much time, effort and expense it would take for an organization to
distribute the information it now presents as a PDF on a website.

If it didn't offer ROI, they wouldn't do it.

Bill Roach, CRM, LA
Information Analyst
North Dakota ITD/Records Management
600 E Boulevard Ave