Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: 6 degrees of smallpox?
From: Valdis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:28:32 -0500

http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/414748a

Unfortunately small pox infection depends more on contact networks than social
networks.  Of course they overlap, yet I can't name half of the people I came
into F2F contact with on my last cross-country business trip [taxi-driver,
hotel clerk, receptionist, airline stewards, etc.].  Are people in these roles
the key hubs in spreading the disease before an outbreak is detected?

Valdis Krebs
http://www.orgnet.com