Drop/Add Deadline for Fall 2002

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:45:29 -0500

text/plain

TO:  Graduate Students
cc:  Graduate Coordinators and Administrative Staff

RE:  Drop/Add Deadline and Drop/Add Procedures

GRADUATE SCHOOL DEADLINE FOR FALL 2002:  Friday, December 20, 2002
Departments/colleges have the authority to follow the undergraduate
deadlines if that is their preference or not support the request at any
time.

DROP/ADD PROCEDURES

1.      When may I drop a class and avoid any financial consequences?

The timeframe set aside by the university to adjust your registration
without financial consequences is during the drop/add period at the start of
each term. Check the catalog or handbook for deadlines. It is important that
you check your registration during this time just to confirm that your
registration is what you intended. You’d be surprised how often a simple
error like putting in the wrong section number goes unchecked for an entire
semester.

2.      What is the deadline if I need to drop or add a course after the drop/add
period?

Drop/add - partial registration.  The Graduate School Student Records Office
accepts drop/add forms for the current term until the last day of the term
(day before commencement) with appropriate department (and dean, if
required) signatures. However, departments/colleges have the authority to
hold to the undergraduate deadlines if that is their preference or not
support the request. Students on appointment must always maintain
appropriate registration unless otherwise approved by the Graduate School.

3.      What if I need to withdraw from all courses?

Prior to the university (undergraduate) deadline for course drops, students
withdrawing from all courses should submit the withdrawal form to Student
Affairs in Peabody Hall. After the deadline but before the last day of the
term, submit a regular drop/add form with appropriate signatures to the
Graduate School Student Records Office in 106 Grinter Hall.

4.      What if the withdrawal is for medical reasons?

Contact the Dean of Students office in Peabody Hall for instructions and the
appropriate forms.

5.      What if I believe the circumstances for the drop warrant a refund?

a. Drop the course(s) using the appropriate procedures
b. Submit a completed Senate Petition for Fee Refund to the petitions
coordinator in the Registrar's Office for the fee refund portion only. The
Graduate School is not involved with this petition. NOTE: Fee refunds are
the only appropriate use of the Senate Petition for graduate students.
Dropping the course(s) is a separate transaction.

6.      What if the term is over and I want to drop or add a class?

Because the Graduate School is more flexible regarding drop/add deadlines
during the current term, retroactive drop/add petitions are not routinely
considered. Altering the transcript is a serious matter. Retroactive course
adjustments are approved to rectify administrative errors or make a
correction to enrollment due to special circumstances. Petitions, which must
be submitted by departments on behalf of students, will not be considered
solely for the purpose of improving the GPA.

NOTE: This and other messages from the Graduate School are maintained online
at:
http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/gradstudent-l.html