GRADUATE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:57:21 -0500

text/plain

TO:  Graduate Students
cc:   Graduate Coordinators & Administrative Staff

GRADUATE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

1.      How long has the academic requirement been 12 credits to be considered a
full-time student?

The 12-credit requirement to be considered full-time dates back to 1982-83
in the Graduate Catalog when the semester system was reestablished. This
Graduate Council policy applies to all graduate students.

2.      What students register full-time?

Most fellows and assistants on .01-.24 FTE must be registered 12 credits in
fall/spring and 8 in summer.  (See Graduate Catalog, p. 29 or online at
http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/gradcat) Students not on an appointment may
want to enroll full-time to finish their degree in the minimum timeframe or
be required to enroll full-time by external funding agencies or their
department.

3.      What is “full-time equivalent” enrollment?

Full-time equivalent status refers to a required or prescribed registration
requirement, which is less than 12 credits but considered appropriate in
specific circumstances. This includes students on a .25-1.00 FTE
assistantship, but also for students on financial aid or the GI Bill and
international students who are generally enrolled for 9 credits in
fall/spring and 6 credits in summer. This is considered full-time for
administrative purposes.  In addition, there are circumstances included in
the Graduate Council policy as stated in the Graduate Council Policy Manual
at http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/education/gcpm.html - 6.6.0.0.

4.      What is a “lockstep” program?

This refers to programs such as MBA where cohorts move together in the same
enrollment sequence with courses taught in a particular order on a
particular schedule. Students have no flexibility in their program or
sequence, and may not drop in and out of courses independently. Upon
department request, the Graduate School will certify specified students as
full-time equivalent under the circumstances stated in the Graduate Council
Policy Manual.

5.      Can I be a part-time graduate student?

Unless you have a specific registration requirement by the government,
external agency, University of Florida, or your academic department, you may
register as a part-time student as long as you maintain the minimum
registration requirement of 3 credits in fall/spring and 2 credits in the
summer.

6.      What enrollment does the Graduate School monitor?

The Graduate School monitors registration requirements for students on
appointment for a fellowship/assistantship and minimum registration for
students. (See Graduate Catalog, p. 29 or online at
http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/gradcat)  Any other registration requirements
are monitored by the appropriate University office.

7.      Must I be continuously enrolled?

Unless you have a specific requirement to be continuously enrolled by the
Federal government, University of Florida, or your academic department, you
do not have to be continuously enrolled. However, if you do not have an
approved leave of absence from your department for two or more consecutive
terms, you are not guaranteed readmission. If you are readmitted, then a new
catalog year will apply with any policy changes.

8.  Are there terms that I must be enrolled?

You must be enrolled in the term that you take the qualifying examination
for admission to candidacy, defend a thesis or dissertation, take a
comprehensive final examination, and the final term. Refer to the Graduate
Catalog (http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/gradcat) for details.

9.  Do I need to be registered in the final term? What if I don't need the
credits to fulfill my degree requirement?

Unless "cleared prior," students must meet minimum registration requirements
(or be appropriately registered for the assistantship or fellowship) and be
appropriately registered in courses that count toward the degree. Doctoral
students should be registered for three credits of 7980 and master's-thesis
students should be registered for three credits of 6971 (or project hours,
if appropriate).

10. What is "cleared prior" status?

Students exempt from final term registration must meet ALL of the following
conditions BEFORE the start of the first day of classes:
(1) Correctly registered in the preceding term.
(2) Completed all degree requirements, including final submission of the
dissertation, thesis, or project and the final examination report.
(3) Submitted the final examination form for the nonthesis degrees
(4) Cleared all incompletes or other unresolved grades.
(5) Filed degree application for the upcoming term with Office of the
University Registrar.

11.  When can I adjust course registration without fee liability?.

The deadline to adjust course registration without fee liability is called
the drop/add period. It is several days during fall and spring, but fewer in
the summer. Deadlines are published in the Graduate Student Handbook and
Catalog, available in printed form or online.

12. I tried to register or make adjustments, but I'm not sure it worked. How
can I be sure?

Telegator and ISIS will provide confirmation of your transactions. If you
don’t get a confirmation, then the registration transaction has not been
completed. You should contact the department for assistance if you are
having a problem with Telegator or ISIS.

13. Why do I need to check my registration otherwise?

Please confirm your registration during the drop/add period so that errors
may be easily corrected. You'd be surprised how many wrong section numbers
go unchecked until grades are assigned at the end of the term.

14. I missed the drop/add deadline. Can I still make changes to my
registration?

Any course drop/add processed after the deadline will result in registration
fee liability, even for students with fee waivers.

15.     Is there student representation involved in making graduate policy?

As stated in the UF Constitution, there is always a representative from the
Graduate Student Council on the Graduate Council, the policy-making body for
graduate education. The representative for this year is Jason Gainous.
http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/education/governance.html
http://grove.ufl.edu/~gsc/

Graduate School
University of Florida
Grinter Hall  P.O. Box 115500
Gainesville, Florida 32611-5500
Phone: (352) 392-6622  Fax: (352) 392-8729
Web: gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu