]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2002

GRADSTUDENT-L 2002

FAQ-If you are graduating in Spring 2003

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:20:53 -0500

text/plain

If you graduated or will not enroll for the spring term, please disregard.
The listserv is automatically updated after the drop/add period to include
only enrolled graduate students. You do not need to send notification to
subscribe or unsubscribe.
***

TO:  Graduate Students
cc:  Department Chairs, Graduate Coordinators, and Administrative Staff

FINAL TERM PROCEDURES
1.  I intend to graduate this term, but I'm not totally sure that I will.
What should I do?

If you think there is a good chance you will graduate, then submit a Degree
Application form to the Registrar's Office in 222 Criser Hall by the
published deadline. There is no fee, and it starts the administrative
process. The Graduate School reviews your file, the Registrar orders a
diploma, your name is included in the commencement program, and you are
given instructions for commencement.

2.  I applied to graduate last semester, but it didn't happen. Do I need to
reapply again?

A degree application does not "carry over" from the previous term. You are
required to reapply for the new term in accordance with the published
deadline. This is also the case for students approved by the Graduate School
to "clear prior" for the current semester.

3.  I'm not planning to attend commencement; do I still have to apply for
graduation?

Degree certification and commencement are two different things. Degree
certification is the awarding of the degree; commencement is the ceremony.
You must always apply for graduation, even if you are not attending the
ceremony.

4.  What is degree certification?

Certifying your degree is a three-step process: The department certifies to
the college that all specific course and program requirements have been
satisfactorily fulfilled; the college then certifies to the Graduate School
that all college degree requirements have been satisfactorily fulfilled; the
Graduate School certifies that all Graduate Council policies and University
of Florida requirements have been satisfactorily fulfilled. The University
of Florida awards the degree. See "Awarding of Degrees" in the Graduate
Catalog at http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/gradcat/2002-2003/regulations.html.

5.  I missed the Registrar's deadline to apply for graduation. Can I still
apply?

The Graduate School will accept late degree applications with department and
college approval until the midpoint deadline of the term. Students who miss
this deadline will have to "clear prior" and reapply for the next term.

6.  Do I need to be registered in the final term? What if I don't need the
credits to fulfill my degree requirement?

Unless "cleared prior," students must meet minimum registration requirements
(or be appropriately registered for the assistantship or fellowship) and be
appropriately registered in courses that count toward the degree. Doctoral
students should be registered for three credits of 7980 and master's-thesis
students should be registered for three credits of 6971 (or project hours,
if appropriate).

7.  What is "cleared prior" status?

Students are exempt from final term registration if they meet ALL of the
following conditions BEFORE the start of the first day of classes:

(a) Correctly registered in the preceding term.
(b) Completed all degree requirements, including final submission of the
dissertation, thesis, or project and the final examination report.
(c) Submitted the final examination form for the nonthesis degrees
(d) Cleared all incompletes or other unresolved grades.
(e) Filed degree application for the upcoming term with Office of the
University Registrar.

8.  I cleared prior for Fall, Spring, or Summer C or finished my department
degree requirements in Summer A and I need to provide documentation to an
employer or licensing board that I've graduated. How can I do that?

Although you may have fulfilled department requirements, you have not been
awarded your degree until the Graduate School certifies the degree to the
University Registrar. That is done at the end of Fall, Spring, and Summer C
terms for all students who applied to graduate. The Graduate School can
provide a Letter of Certification that many employers and licensure boards
will accept, but check with them first. Some employers and licensure boards
require the degree statement on the transcript and that will not be
available until about three days after certification in December, May, and
August.

9. I submitted a thesis or dissertation to the Graduate School Editorial
Office last term, but I didn't graduate. Do I have to resubmit?

Students who submitted a thesis or dissertation, but did not graduate and
did not clear prior for the next term, are not automatically included with
the next term's graduation submissions. To graduate in the next term, you
must meet the first submission deadlines for theses or dissertations.

10. I need to change from thesis to nonthesis or change my supervisory
committee. What is deadline to make those changes?

All changes to the Supervisory Committee for degree candidates including a
change from thesis to nonthesis, and final requests for Transfer of Credit
must be completed by the published midpoint deadline of the final term. No
changes can be made after the final defense of a thesis or dissertation
regardless of the deadline.

11. I'm submitting a thesis or dissertation. Does it have to be submitted
electronically?

If you were admitted to your degree program as of Fall 2001, then you are
required to submit an electronic thesis or dissertation (ETD). Students
admitted before Fall 2001 have the option, but are encouraged to do so.

Graduate School
University of Florida
Grinter Hall  P.O. Box 115500
Gainesville, Florida 32611-5500
Phone: (352) 392-6622  Fax: (352) 392-8729
Web: gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu