Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  January 2002

SOCNET January 2002

Re: ...mapping the Internet

Doug and Beth Bryan <[log in to unmask]>

Doug and Beth Bryan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:03:50 -0600

text/plain

Jon,

Great suggestion.  A couple of years ago I mapped VCs.  It pretty much gave
the same picture as board of director interlock analysis of northern
California startups, once you introduce VCs as organizations and filter out
large public companies.  I thought it was fascinating, however everyone I
showed it to either (a) had no use for the info, or (b) thought it was
obvious.  That's a problem with information visualization: it often just
makes the obvious apparent.  The northern Californian VC community is a
rather tight social net, and the only ones who care about it are in it.

The trick is to find a net that is useful but dynamic enough so that new
entrants would value a map.  A great example is Valdis Krebs's social net of
the Sept. 11 hijackers.
http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,35253,FF.html
Since September, there are many people interested in "breaking into" that
net, and thus they value Krebs' map.

Other thoughts on net visualization?

Doug Bryan
http://pavg.stanford.edu/people/bryan