RECMGMT-L March 2002

Re: Paper and The New Yorker

Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:51:18 -0800

text/plain

I suspect that I may be one of the "valued colleagues" to which Ed refers at one point in his posting.

Basically, I agree with Ed in his consulting approach, and use that methodology myself. I will do and recommend the best business solution based upon the unique tenets and needs of the client, as well as the sponsoring department and the overall organization. The paper media is very seldom ever a part of the best business solution, however there have been a few times in the past 10 or so years. What I frequently run into in this organization is some personnel in some departments just will not change the tools they use. Once they are dragged kicking and screaming into using new tools, they open their eyes, enjoy the new tools, see the benefits and then become a staunch supporter.

What I see on a fairly frequently basis in our profession are folks who will spend lots of time and effort to debunk applications using modern technology, and give all the reasons and excuses in the world to do so.

And before anybody asks, yes my program has an in-house records center and we also have some hard copy storage outsourced; we do some microfilming by outsource to a commercial service bureau, and we have an automated microfilming capability tied to our electronic records system (ERS) for documents & objects with very long retentions. I dislike imaging because 98% of all information created in the western world starts off electronic (note I did not say digital, which is different). However, we have imaging capability as ONE possible source of input into our ERS also.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM

>>> Ed Southern <[log in to unmask]> 03/22/02 06:02AM >>>
        Sorry to repost a message I sent so recently, but I guess it's my anal
retentiveness.

Ed Southern
______________
2/4/02

    I believe it is more profitable and useful for records managers (or
records and information managers) to look at the real business needs, the
existing workflow, and other practical aspects of office management when
making recommendations about the use of paper and the use of computer
technology for a specific client---than to point to trends (about the
increasing use of IT or anything else) in an unexamined and uncritical
manner. The trends may or may not be valid or valid only under specific
circumstances. In many cases, paper is still the most useful medium for some
persons for understanding the vast (and often irrelevant) volume of unsorted
information one can find on the Internet. Paper also remains useful for
specific phases of reasoning, decision-making, and illustration (mental or
graphic).

    If you visit a client, are you there to sell IT for its own sake, or are
you there to investigate in an objective way what media are in use and to
make recommendations about the suitability of each medium, based on what
will be more efficient for the business goals concerned? What I am hearing
from my valued colleagues seems to be a kind of seduction by technology or a
kind of trendiness (even if I have now heard about the trend for about
twenty years). I suppose one must be candid about goals and the means to
reach the goals. We were certainly mesmerized in the early 1960s about
sending a human to the moon. The development of other technologies and a
sense of budgetary limits, among other factors, has called into question for
some the advisability of the effort that finally succeeded in 1969. Might we
have gained the same amount of knowledge had we sent a robot to the moon?
Perhaps so, perhaps not. That seems to me to be a different question. The
overall question concerns what your goals are and what the best means are to
reach them.

Ed Southern

Edwin Southern, Ph.D ([log in to unmask])
Head, State and University Records Unit
Department of Cultural Resources
Division of Historical Resources
Archives and Records Section