RECMGMT-L March 2002

Re: In Support of Paper

jphibbs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:11:43 -0500

text/plain

In a posting by Peter July 25, 2001 on a thread Re: Life Span of Electronic
media he post three links from the archives of 1999 to British sources
discussing Parliaments continuation of the use of parchment for preserving the
Acts of Parliament in which they refer to a LE of 5000 years versus papers 500
years. I guess the British are more concerned with preserving history us Yanks.
And then we come to discuss another thread on longevity and the merits of
various media. Preservation of information is at the core of our profession and
brings out the passion for our concern of recorded information.

"Wick, Charles Harrison" wrote:

> It is true that microfilm is a viable solution, and can easily last as long
> as paper, with little or almost no dependence on microfilm, but I especially
> liked the analogy of the paperwork of closing on a house or buying a car.
> Now in the age of e-journals and e-books, I have to wonder if ER Managers
> would ever buy a house where the 'paperwork' was all done electronically
> without a paper copy? From an archivist's point of view, where would you go
> to look up an 'electronic deed', and would you be able to read it in the
> future at all? I guess there are some things paper will always be used for,
> vital records are one such thing, including death certificates, marriage
> licenses, deeds and money.
>
> Charles Wick
> OCLC Records Management

John Phibbs