]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  March 2002

RECMGMT-L March 2002

Oral History Response Summary - very long

"Vogel.Arlyce" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:12:27 -0600

text/plain

Thank You to everyone who responded to my request for information on How to
Conduct an Oral History.  You responded quickly and with such great advice.
I felt like I was asking for an "oral history for dummies" manual.  However,
you made this process much less stressful.  As promised here are redacted
excerpts of your responses.  Many more people responded than these.
However, many were redundant or requests to share the information.  These

1  Charlotte Sellers "I came across this site
http://www.indiana.edu/~ohrc/pamph1.htm at Indiana University, which is
renown in this area for its oral history and folklore projects.  Another
website http://www.elon.edu/festle/oralhistory.htm .  Don't forget to ask
for any photographs of various operations that he may possess."

2  Dennis Larsen - suggested a local university professor OR a professional
archivist who could do the interview for a fee.

3  Dennis Lawson (Steve Whitaker had referred me to him) suggested hiring a
court reporter and a camera operator.  Take a video camera (on a tripod) as
well as a good quality cassette recorder.  Use the highest quality tapes
(metal oxide) that you can get.  Before the formal interview, solicit the
interviewee's opinion about the half-dozen or so most substantive issues
that faced the company during his tenure.  Get a feel for what he'd like to
talk about.  Formulate your questions around his evaluation of the issues.
What you want are "most and biggest" questions:  the biggest successes,
biggest failures, biggest characters, biggest changes (e.g., technology),
etc., etc.  Show him your questions before you schedule the interview so he
won't be caught blindsided; plus, it'll give him time to organize his
thoughts and think about what he wants to say.  For a senior veep, probably
a one or two-hour session would be adequate to cover the ground, unless he
was involved in some very, very important stuff.  After the interviews,
transcribe the tapes.  Courtesy dictates that you allow the interviewee to
make editing suggestions on the draft.  Plus, I've found that some
interviewees actually like to expound in writing on what they said orally.

4 John Phibbs "Here are a couple of sources Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites
on the Internet - Oral History & Interviews.  Cyndi's list contains more
than 123,700 genealogy links! http://www.cyndislist.com/oral.htm And from
Ancestry.com the learning section can be searched for related articles. Oral
Histories, Part 1 - Roseann Reinemuth Hogan, Ph.D
HTTP://www.ancestry.com/library/view/ancmag/2238.asp"

5  Shelly Kelly "Here's what you need:  Tape recorder, extension cord,
external microphone (I prefer two lapel mics), backup batteries, outline of
topics you want to cover (not a specific list of exact questions), and any
number of cassette tapes (60 minutes and good quality/brand), notebook/pen.

Most people won't want to talk more than 2-3 hours.  If your conversation
isn't finished in that time, schedule another time to talk.

Do some background research, be prepared before you sit down to ask
questions.

Before you go, test all your equipment, make sure you know how to work it
and to turn the microphones on.  Don't use microcassettes, digital or the
kind of recorder that starts and stops when someone is talking.  They never
work right.  I bought all my personal recording equipment at Radio Shack for
around $150.

Before you go, record an introduction on the tape.  It should be something
like.  "This is [your name] and I'm interviewing Mr. [his name] on [day,
date, year] in [location].  I'm talking to Mr. [his name] about [topic].

Ask open ended questions - tell me about, describe for me, what was your
opinion, what did you think about?  Avoid questions that can be answered
yes/no if possible.   A good way to get people to loosen up about being
interviewed is to start with something easy.  Ask them to repeat their full
name and date and place of birth.  Maybe parents names etc. But unless their
background (ie: stories about growing up in such and such with their
families) is directly relevant to the oral history, don't let them get
started telling you their entire family history.  Might want to ask how much
education and where they got their education though.

Anytime he says a proper name (like ...  our first vp was mr. So & So.)
write down the name as you understand it to be.  After the tape has stopped
and before you pack up, ask him to verify the spelling of those proper
names.  Then when you go back to transcribe the interview, you'll have the
proper spelling.

But have fun choosing what areas of the company history you want him to talk
about.  Did he found the company?  When was he hired?  How did he rise to
the top?  What special projects or events stand out as true milestones to
him in the companies growth?  Did they have any missed opportunities (and
elaborate).

Your job is to ask good questions, sit back and be quiet... don't do a lot
of hmm., um-hmmm , etc.   Do a lot of silent facial encouragement. (nod your
head, look interested etc).  Don't be afraid of silence if he's thinking
about a question.  Sometimes being silent after he's answered the question
prompts them to "remember" something else.   Listen to what he's talking
about - did he ANSWER the question?   Or did he go off on a tangent.  If he
went off on something else, write down a one or two word reminder to
yourself and say something like, 'Well, I'll ask you about that in a few
minutes, but back to the original question - and pin him down."

Remember to ask probing questions --get the whole story.

Watch the clock (but don't LOOK like you're watching the clock!)  You'll
have about 30 minute on each side.  Then flip the tape and remember to wait
15 seconds for the leader before repeating the question if necessary. "Okay,
you were answering my question about profit sharing..." prompt him to start
again.  Have extra tapes on the table or nearby so you're not fumbling for
them.  And when you take one out - label it 1, 2, 3, etc.

Don't be in a rush when the interview is over (unless that's necessary).

Oh-  and get a release form!!!!!   Especially if the interview is for the
company and you think you might want to use it in any other way.   Something
that you both sign that says you did this for the company and he
transfers/assigns copyright, use etc. to the company.  Date it.  There
should be examples all over the web for you on the release form.

Overall - HAVE A LOT OF FUN!!!!   I love conducting oral histories, but
haven't done one in almost a year  (and the interviewee died four months
later, WWII vet from D-day.)

Oh, one thing I didn't mention - if you discuss anything controversial, be
sure not to insert your own bias into the question.  (A leading question)
An example might be... oh... "when the judge finally slapped ol' what's is
face in jail for tax evasion, weren't you just a little proud?"  (Better to
ask, how did you feel when So&So was convicted for tax evasion? How did you
think it would affect the company?)  Get the idea?    Stay neutral."

6  Doug King "I just went to www.vivisimo.com (my preferred search engine,
most of the time), and searched for "oral and history and interview." It
gave hits for not only the results of oral history projects and genealogical
stuff, but also educational institutions and historical groups "how to"
pages. I also know there are also various books published on the topic, or
chapters in historical methods books -- though I cannot cite titles -- you
might check with the History Dept profs at a local college or university."

7  Laurie Sletten "1. Know the history of the subject, as much background
that you can so when you are talking with the individual, you can flesh out
answers by directing him/her back to what you want them to be discussing.
Also to help you ask the right questions. 2.  Prepare your questions in
advance.  Provide them with a copy of your questions so they can have some
time to think back on things. 3.  Decide what you will do with this history
(full transcript, index the tape for key subjects, whatever), have your
subject sign you the rights to the interview.  If you do a full transcript,
try to have your agreement include the transcript.  Try to avoid giving your
interviewee any editing rights to the transcript. There is an association
for Oral Historians, they may be able to give you more help.  Their URL is:
http://omega.dickinson.edu/organizations/oha"

8  Sammie Morris  "One way I come up with questions is by looking over any
printed  resources about the institution and asking questions about
historical events.  Start by having the VP send you his resume or vitae and
biographical information. Consult with other long-time staff members at your
company-- they will remember major happenings and events to ask him about.
Basic questions such as "How did you first come to work for the company,"
"How has the company changed since you started," "What were the other
positions you have held here," and "What was your professional vision for
the company" will get him started talking and lots of other questions will
evolve during the interview.  Don't be afraid to ask about controversial or
scandalous events from your corporation's past-- assure the VP that the
interview can be restricted from public access for a number of years if
necessary.  Above all, keep it informal and ask questions that demand more
than a "yes" or "no" answer.  Use good quality recording equipment with an
external microphone (the mics that come on most recorders are not suitable
for oral histories and pick up too much background noise).  Use a machine
that can be both plugged in and run off batteries, because you never know
which type you will need.  Carry extra batteries and tapes with you.
Provide something to drink for the person being interviewed so if he  gets
nervous he has something to do with his hands."

9  Paul Scott "First, take a look at the Oral History Association's home
page: http://omega.dickinson.edu/organizations/oha/  Second, contact an oral
historian near you and ask for their advice.  You can probably hire one
cheaper than you think (per hour) and it will take longer than you expect
because the rule of thumb is that it requires 3 hrs. to transcribe each hour
of tape. PLUS there will be more preparation time than you would expect.
Still, it will be a good way to get exposure at the upper levels of
management and you can justify some of it under the concept of Knowledge
Management."

10  Susan Hurff "This may sound silly to you, but I suggest getting a court
reporter in. This reporter can actually transcribe everything he says
instantly and put it into an ascii format or any other format you like.
Then, it can be viewed by any individual you retain as a word processing
document.

The other alternative is to video tape (keep in mind that doing it this way
means someone will have to keep hitting rewind many times during the
documentation stage).  In both instances, I would provide a chronological
list of questions upfront for his review/approval.  After modifying the
list, he can then begin the "oral history."

I would ask questions that are open ended so that his answers are not just
yes, no, etc.  (i.e, how did you come to work here, what are the differences
from when you started till now, what were/are the company's greatest
strengths/weaknesses, how was the company innovative, who were the
executives of the company, support staff, etc.)  He can also add any info
wants."

11  Michelle Nichols - Try the following Importance of Oral history
http://www.genealogy.com/2_oralhs.html   "Oral history - how to etc"
http://www.genealogy.com/links/c/c-how-to-and-help,interviewing-techniques.h
tml?Welcome=1015288816

12  Magda Zakanyi "There are a couple of essentials: 1. know the history of
the organization 2. ask for a resume of the individual.  Make clear on the
tape: who is being interviewed (including date) and why is this person being
interviewed.  Start with the person's background (including where they were
born, educated, family etc.) and How they became affiliated with the
organization...OR... Start with the person's current position and work
backward.  Some interviewees talk freely, one needs to direct them only
towards a topic. Others need specific questions to prompt them.  The
interview can be conducted chronologically or by topics.  It is important
that the person being interviewed feels comfortable in the surroundings."

Thank you again to everyone who responded!
Arlyce J Vogel, CRM
Wisconsin Electric - Wisconsin Gas
A Wisconsin Energy Company
Milwaukee, WI - USA