Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  March 2002

RECMGMT-L March 2002

Potentially historically ...

Cynthia Swank & Peter Parker <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:15:24 -0500

text/plain

As I'm on digest, I don't know if anyone has responded to messages over the
weekend in defense of corporate archives.  As a former corporate archivist and
records manager, I'd like to say a few words in support of business and other
institutional archives and to explain what I consider their ideal role in an
organization.   There are business archives out there (there is a SAA business
archives section and a business archives listserv) serving very useful
functions for their organizations.

First, it is likely that most business or institutional archivists would, like
Lorinda, put legal, fiscal, and administrative value ahead of historical value
in assessing records and determining whether they have permanent value to the
organization.   While historical repositories may equate historical with
archival value, institutional archivists would use a definition similar to the
one in Judith Ellis (ed) Keeping Archives, published by the Australian Society
of Archivists and readily available through inter-library loan.  Archival value
-- The values, both evidential and/or informational which justify the
indefinite
or permanent retention of records as archives:  Evidential value: The value for
providing evidence of the origins, structure, functions, policies, and
operations of the agency or person that created the records.  The three major
categories of records having evidential value are those that: 1) have
continuing administrative, legal, or fiscal value for the body or individual
which created them, or for any subsequent bodies; 2) record details which may
serve to protect the civic, legal, property, or other rights of individuals or
the community at large; 3) reflect the historical evolution of the creating
body....

In other words, a corporate archivist in an organization where there is a
functioning records retention schedule would take custody of  inactive,
permanent records, would store them in an appropriate climate-controlled
environment in appropriate archival quality storage enclosures to ensure the
preservation of the records, and would provide the "added-value" of description
through finding aids so that the materials would be easily accessible when
needed/  (Obviously, e-recs can also be archival but I don't want to set too
many rabbits running).

Two jobs for which archivists are trained and vital in an archives program are
appraisal and reference services.   While the retention schedule is the
archivist's best friend, how many corporations have a fully implemented,
regularly updated retention schedule?  How many schedules still contain record
series, generally at the most senior levels of the organization,  where records
are "indefinite"?   Has someone other than the creating unit and legal
considered the potential archival (permanent) value?   For instance, at Honda
the advertising unit might only need the corporation's commercials for a couple
of years, legal may say fourteen, while someone in PR might say the ones for
certain model years,  best-selling vehicles, or by some other criteria should
be kept forever.   There are times when it's helpful to have an in-house
archivist.

One of my first tasks as a business archivist was to answer the summons of the
CEO and go through what he called his junk (he was not a packrat) and determine
what should be kept and be transferred to the Archives.  By means of a back and
forth discussion and explanation why I wanted some materials and not others,
we quickly got the job done with most of the materials going in a trash barrel
and the rest coming to the Archives where they were whittled down some more to
what I considered of likely continuing value.   (It becomes easier to make such
decisions the longer one works for an organization and as the reference
inquiries increase but being able to explain the thinking process in a coherent
fashion is essential, plus, if you the luxury, thinking out loud with another
person).

Reference services also are vital in making permanent records work for the
organization.  An archives' purpose is to improve access to its holdings,
albeit often access limited to staff or certain levels of staff.  Usually
permanent records are no longer needed by the creating department (it long ago
disappeared under a new name) or person (s/he was laid off) -- they are needed
by new people, often at senior levels of the organization.   When senior
management grew up with a company, they carried the institutional memory in
their heads but now that senior management is likely to be new to the company,
and even to the industry,  the archives serves as the institutional memory.
There is no Harry or Harriet down the hall who can say, "Oh, yeah, we had a
similar situation about five or six years ago..."     If the organization has
an archives, people have somewhere to turn.   For instance, when a
international office manager was faced with the threat of legislation taxing
advertising,  he was sure some other office had faced the problem before -- he
turned to the archives to find out where, when, and the response.   By having
the records of key officers as well as presentations made at worldwide managers
meetings we were able to  quickly come up with responses and send out a memo
with the information, supplemented with copies of the most pertinent materials.

Sure, archives also do "firsts," milestones, anniversaries; and marketing,
public relations, investor relations, & human resources  are frequent users of
an archives but these "soft" uses are part of the corporate image building all
businesses now do.    They may not be profit centers but they are important
support services, just as records management and archives operations are.

I gave a presentation nearly ten years arguing that archivists need records
managers and records managers need archivists.  While they both deal with
records, they often have different users, different constituencies and frankly
I think getting the ear of senior management can be easier for an archivist
than a records manager  but neither is complete without the other.   That's why
I became a records manager.   As we are all supposed to meld into strategic
information managers -- in other words, know and maybe do each other's jobs,
some cross-fertilization might be in order.   Have an archivist speak at your
ARMA chapter meeting, and ask to participate in a session at a local or
regional archives organization program.

The New England Archivists are meeting next weekend in Newport, RI and one of
the sessions is a panel discussion chaired by Paul Bergeron called
Collaboration between Records Managers and Archivists where the panelists are
to highlight the differences -- and reasons for those differences -- in how
records managers and archivists approach the management of records through
their life cycle.   One of my  partner's remarks (he has distribution and use)
is same coffee, different hat!  We may use different language but it's the
same.

Cynthia Swank, CRM, CA

Inlook Group
P.O. Box 405