RECMGMT-L March 2002

Re: Paper and The New Yorker

Megan Easto <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:03:45 -0500

text/plain

A few words in favour of paper...

As the New Yorker article states, paper is very tangible - you can easily pick it up and carry it with you pretty much anywhere. Yes, you can carry a laptop or a Palm instead, but laptops are very difficult to use on a crowded subway, and Palms are a bit too small to be convenient. Those are old arguments, but the reason that I continue to prefer paper is that it gives you an instant picture of the context of any document. You can see exactly how big it is, where you are in it, and any annotations or corrections that have been made. As a spatial-tactile thinker, I find it much easier to get an idea of the "big picture" and structure of a document if I can spread it out and see all of it at once. Also, I can play with different versions of the structure. I can remove parts of a document, rearrange them, and put them back in their original order - all the while maintaining a visual overview of the context and structure as it stands at any given moment.

Let me say as well that I am not a technophobe, nor am I resistant to change. I finished school less than two years ago, and am currently working in my first "real" job. I expect to have many different careers over the course of my lifetime, and look forward to the new changes and challenges of each.  I grew up with computers, and wouldn't know what to do with a typewriter that didn't correct my typos or check my spelling. I use computers almost exclusively to communicate with my friends and colleagues, as well as for writing and copy-editing my documents. But in the initial stages of a draft, or for keeping track of my to-do lists, I have yet to find anything that works as well as an old fashioned sheet of paper.

I have a hunch that there are too many other people like me out there (as well as genuine change-resisters and technophobes!) to ever make the paperless office a reality. But there is no reason that computers and paper cannot happily coexist, with every office worker using whichever instrument suits her best for the task at hand.

Cheers,
Megan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Megan Easto
Project Lead
Information Management Solutions
56 Wellesley St W  2nd floor
Toronto, ON M5S 2S3
416-314-7583

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/21/02 09:16AM >>>
Steven D. Whitaker writes, "A sad commentary about our profession is that
a lot of RM folks don't want to change; they like paper and are very
resistant.  Old habits, fears, and insecurities, no doubt. The paperless
office is not a myth; it is a real possibility.  It does take commitment."

A more poignant point is that any technology is the result of cultural,
economic, political, and other factors, not just the feasibility of the
technologies themselves.  There are moral, ethical, legal, and other
factors to be considered.  Part of the responsibility of the records
professional is in understanding the nature and purpose of records and
recordkeeping systems, and being perceptive about when digital and paper
approaches are called for or feasible.  History suggests that there
continues to be a role for paper, especially as the predictions of the
paperless office are now more than thirty years old.  Calling those who
understand the persistent role of paper in modern society technophobes is
a favorite means by which to dismiss them, but since the responsibilities
of archivists and records managers include a spectrum of roles from
administering to preserving records - including dealing with the very
large legacy of paper systems - it is a not very useful approach.  Yes,
some resist change.  However, some also embrace change and technocratic
solutions too glibly and often with poor results.  I write this merely as
a word of caution.

Richard J. Cox
Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Voice:  412-624-3245