]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  March 2002, Week 5

PSYART March 2002, Week 5

Re: Another Variety of Risky Reading / Swear Words

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:27:44 -0500

text/plain

From:
       Daniel Rancour-Laferriere <[log in to unmask]>

3:55 PM

Dear Eugene,
Thank you for the reference.  I hunted it down and found: "On the Principal
Obscene Word of the English Language," _International Journal of
Psycho-Analysis_ 35 (1954), 30-56.  The article offers a wealth of both
philological and clinical material.  Especially suggestive is the
relationship of the word "fuck" and the word "suck."  There seems to be a
preponderance of oral issues in patients who use these words a lot, and the
ontogenetic background is more pre-Oedipal than Oedipal.

This idea works for English and some other Germanic languages.  It would
not work for the obscenities in some other languages, however.  For
example, the principal Russian obscenity, "Eb tvoiu mat'" (literally "I
fucked your mother") seems pretty clearly Oedipal.  There is even a
distinctly Oedipal legend (reported from the Smolensk area) about the
origin of such language: "Once upon a time the Devil disturbed [zmustil]
one person.  This person killed his father and married his mother.  From
that time on humankind has been swearing, mentioning the name of the mother
in curses, and from that time this evil has spread about the earth."  There
are ways in Russian obscene language, however, to deal with more archaic,
pre-Oedipal issues.  See my 1995 book _The Slave Soul of Russia_ (NYU
Press, 140 ff.).  It is interesting that the general term for obscenities
in Russian is "mat," a word that is very close to the word for "mother,"
i.e., "mat'," -- the apostrophe indicates a palatalized consonant
(palatalization is phonemic in Slavic languages, not in Germanic).

It would be interesting to hear form other people on the list about swear
words in their own native language, and what psychoanalytic significance
these words might have.

Best,

Daniel RL

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere