PSYART April 2002, Week 1

Re: Another Variety of Risky Reading -2

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:16:43 -0500

text/plain

From:
       Daniel Rancour-Laferriere <[log in to unmask]>

Tue 6:03 PM

2 April 02

Dear Mary Ellen,
In Jeff Berman's _Risky Writing_, which is a wonderful book, there are
numerous passages where risky writing is characterized as therapeutic, and
where the teacher's role is evidently that of a therapist as well (emphasis
mine in the following quotations):

p. 29: "An empathic classroom is essential for risky writing.  Empathy is a
central concept in psychology AND COUNSELING. . . ."
p. 48: ". . . I believe that a pedagogical model of classroom
self-disclosure HAS MANY ELEMENTS IN COMMON WITH THERAPEUTIC
MODELS."  True, this sentence begins with the caveat "Nevertheless, without
conflating the teacher's and the therapist's roles . . ." -- which may be
true.  But certainly the roles overlap.
p. 49: "Writers have long been aware of the THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS of
self-expression."
p. 50: section titled "HEALTH BENEFITS of Self-Disclosure."
p. 57: "Teachers who encourage their students to engage in risky writing
should have some familiarity with [the] fields [of ]. . . CLINICAL
PSYCHOLOGY AND TRAUMA THEORY."
p. 69: "To judge from her own words, Roberta's essay helped her to discover
and vent the unresolved anger arising from a traumatic experience.  The
essay has both aesthetic AND THERAPEUTIC VALUE. . . ."

The essence of what Jeff Berman advocates is the "empathic classroom," and
I believe that is indeed the kind of classroom he creates for his students
(with only an occasional lapse into judgmental comments on student
self-disclosure, as he admits on p. 228).  The "empathic classroom" is
especially helpful to students who are having psychological problems, but
it is probably good for other students too.  As you say, empathic response
is like empathic parenting, and all teachers are parent surrogates to a
greater or lesser extent -- even in the hard sciences, where
self-disclosing diaries are utterly inappropriate.  As you and Jeff
suggest, empathic response also respects boundaries.  The empathic response
to self-disclosure is to accept it without being intrusive.

My own classroom is not an "empathic classroom."  It is, rather, an
"argumentative classroom."  I make use of psychoanalysis (among other
disciplines) to understand Russian literature, culture, history, folklore,
etc.  Already the use of psychoanalysis means there will be
"arguments."  These "arguments" are not about student self-disclosures, but
about the subject matter of the course -- say, Tolstoy's religious views,
or Russian bridal laments, or Stalin's cruelty.  Students perceive that I
am enthusiastic about all things Russian.  They find me generally
"available" to them for discussion of course subject matter.  They give me
"good" to "excellent" evaluations, although an occasional dissident will be
offended by my use of psychoanalysis, calling my interpretations
questionable, or even "sick."  I have learned to live with this.  I will
not create a safely bland classroom by censoring the subject matter or
censoring my own interpretations.  I encourage the students to take chances
too by offering their own interpretations (not self-disclosures, and not
necessarily psychoanalytic).  We debate interpretations -- both mine and
theirs.  I tell them their interpretations are only as good as the evidence
they offer.  They come to demand the same from me.  I point out
inconsistencies in their arguments, and they hunt for inconsistencies in
mine.  This furthers their intellectual growth.

Some of us are temperamentally suited to the "empathic classroom," others
find the "argumentative classroom" more suitable.  There should be room for
both kinds.  To advocate one is not to advocate against the other.

Regards to all,

Daniel

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Professor of Russian