FLORIDABIRDS-L May 2002

Re: Kelp (?) Gull @ Captiva Island

Marie Gonsalo <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 May 2002 09:12:02 EDT

text/plain

Hi everybody,

Like everybody else, I was quite surprised to hear of this probable Kelp Gull
on Captiva.  The surprise was even more intense, however, for me because the
discoverer was a camping/birding buddy of mine from Massachusetts.  We had
been in touch for about a year after I moved down here, but then stopped
communicating.  Well, at any rate, here is what Phil has to say about the
Kelp Gull,

"Hi Marie,

    I'm happy to hear that you are well and seeing great birds in the
Sunshine State. The Gull was seen on two occasions that week, just over
the bridge from Sanibel on the left side of the first small island on
the first occasion and then on the middle of the same small island on
the same side of the road. It was in the company of the local Gulls and
Terns both times. I miss id the bird initially. That is where the delay
in posting it arose from... I certainly hope that it is still around and
that you all have fabulous looks. The birding up here has been fairly
spectacular lately.. Be well..

Enjoy,
Phil

Barbara has requested from me that I get photos of the bird to post to Kurt's
site.  I will ask Phil to send some photos to Kurt.

I have a constellation of feelings revolving around the sighting of this
gull, but will not burden Florida Birdline with them.  If the gull is still
out there (are you out there, Vince McGrath?), perhaps others will have a
chance to see it too.

Take care,
Marie

Marie Gonsalo