Help for PSYART Archives

PSYART Archives

Subject: Free online trauma symposium
From: Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 May 2002 17:17:42 -0400

PsyBC-News <http://www.psybc.com>

FREE ONLINE TRAUMA SYMPOSIUM PRESENTED BY
THE AMERICAN GROUP PSYCHOTHERAPY ASSOCIATION AND
FUNDED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY FOUNDATION.

Dear AGPA Members and Colleagues,

The American Group Psychotherapy Association (AGPA) in response to
the events of Sept 11th and their aftermath is pleased to offer two
NEW free online symposia on using group to treat trauma. These
symposia are being created under auspices of the AGPA and will be
co-sponsored for purposes of continuing education credit by the AGPA
and PsyBC (<http://www.psybc.com>).

These new symposia are designed to extend the material offered in our
prior symposia. Our first symposium: "Using Groups to Face the Second
Wave of 9/11 Trauma", will look at ways of managing delayed,
trauma-related affect, with a particular focus on dissociative
behavior. We will be especially concerned with expanding our
understanding of the continuing effects of 9/11 on children. The
second symposium, beginning in early September, will focus on
Anniversary Reactions.

These symposia will be conducted by specially organized panels of
experts in the group treatment of trauma.

Discussions will center around the readings listed for each
symposium.  The readings will be available online for free from the
PsyBC library.

AGPA members will receive continuing education credits for free as a
membership benefit.

Non-AGPA members wishing ceu's will receive continuing education
credits at $10/credit. (The discussion is free. Only the ceu's
require payment.)

The program consists of two online symposia each of which center
around seminal reading about the group treatment of trauma. The
format is a panel discussion. During the discussion members of the
audience can email comments and questions to the moderator which are
then responded to by the panelists. Each symposium takes place over
the course of four weeks.

We look forward to having a discussion about these important topics
and to providing AGPA members with this membership benefit.

See below for:

--> Program description
--> How to register
--> FAQ's

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO PROFESSIONAL MAILING
LISTS AND TO ANY INTERESTED COLLEAGUES
_____
SYMPOSIUM #1: Using Groups to Face the Second Wave of 9/11 Trauma

June 5th - July 2nd

Panel:
Bruce Bernstein, PhD, ABPP, CGP, FAGPA: Moderator
Bonnie Buchele, PhD, CGP, DFAGPA
Christopher Layne, PhD
Nina Thomas, PhD, ABPP, CGP
Suzanne Phillips, PsyD, CGP
Henry Spitz, MD, CGP, FAGPA
Seth Aronson, PsyD, CGP

A discussion of:
1. Hegeman, E. and Wohl, E. (2000). Management of Trauma- Related
Affect, Defenses, and Dissociative States. Group Psychotherapy and
Psychological Trauma, Klein & Schermer, New York: Guilford Press.
Ch. 3, 64-88.

Objectives:
a. Participants will learn to recognize the varied manifestations of
dissociation in psychotherapy groups.

b. Participants will learn the specific issues that arise in dealing
with dissociation in groups.

c.  Participants will learn techniques for effectively managing
trauma-related affect, defuses and dissociate states.

2. Yassen, J & Harvey, M  (1997). In Kleespies, In P. (Ed.) Crisis
Assessment and Interventions with Victims of Violence. Emergencies in
Mental Health Practice: Evaluation and Management.  New York:
Guilford Press. Ch 6, 117-144.

Objectives:
a. To learn the ecological basis for victims of violence.

b. To understand the impact of crime victimization.

c. To learn the various stages of response that victims of violence go through.

d. To learn the goals of psychological intervention.

3. Kleinfield, N. R. "In Nightmares and Anger, Children Pay Hidden
Cost of 9/11" New York Times, May 14, 2002.

Objectives:
a. How to understand children who continue to experience delayed
reactions to the events of 9/11.

b. To understand why approx. 28% of NYC public school children in
grades 4-11 need some form of mental health intervention because of
the continuing effects from 9/11.

c. To understand the ways 9/11 are affecting children's daily lives.

4. Purnick, J. "In Schools, a Hidden Toll of Sept. 11" New York Times
May 13, 2002.

Objectives:
a. To learn the magnitude of public school children's need for mental
health services as a result of 9/11.

b. To understand the difficult issues and controversy facing schools
in identifying and referring children for these mental health
services.

c. To understand that many children don't ask for help or readily accept it.

SYMPOSIUM #2: "Anniversary Reactions to 9/11" will start September
5th - September 30th. More information will be given at a later date.

_____

How to register:
Send email to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject line: Group Trauma Symposium

That is all that you need to do. We will take care of the rest.
However...

IMPT: It is very important to include "Group Trauma Symposium" in the
subject line. There are other symposia currently going on and if you
don't tell us that you want the "Group Trauma Symposium" we won't
know which discussion you wish to "attend".

IMPT: If you attended AGPA's free symposium on "Group Interventions
After Trauma" please do not register again. You will automatically be
registered.

IMPT: If you do not wish to attend these symposia and DID attend the
"Group Interventions After Trauma" free symposia please send email
mailto:[log in to unmask] and tell us that you don't wish to attend.

Example:
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Remove from Group Trauma

That's all you have to do. We'll take care of the rest. After
notifying us we will send you more information about how to find the
associated texts and how to attend and participate in the symposium.

  _____

FAQ's

How does an online panel discussion work?
The discussion of the panelists takes place entirely via email. The
format emulates a face-to-face panel. You receive the comments of the
panelists as the conversation unfolds just as you would be listening
to panelists in a face-to-face situation -- the difference being that
the comments are in emails rather than oral. (See below for how you
can participate.)

It is not "realtime". That is, you can read the discussion whenever
you wish just as you do with any email.
---------

Are there CE credits and are these free?
There are continuing education credits available for free for AGPA members.

Non AGPA members may receive continuing education credits at
$10/credit. (The discussion is free but we have to charge for the
ceu's.)

At the end of the discussion you will be given instructions about
accessing our automated online testing center. There you take the
test, fill out an evaluation form, and print out your certificate.

Most of our symposia are valued at 8 ceu's.
---------

Can we, as members of the audience, participate?
Yes. If you wish to ask a question or make a comment you can email it
to the moderator who will then send it out as part of the discussion.
---------

What if we begin after the discussion begins?
You will be given instructions about how to access the archive of the
discussion where you will find the entire discussion up to the point
where you began.