LISTSERV Archives

DBLOCATOR-L Home

DBLOCATOR-L  June 2002

DBLOCATOR-L June 2002

Re: June minutes draft

Rich Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

SUS Libraries Database Locator Maintenance Issues <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:22:58 -0400

I see in the draft ECC minutes excert below that there was the following
discussion about the DBL.

"The Committee discussed maintenance of Database Locator.  Not all of the
libraries use it and, therefore, the information is not necessarily current.
Rich Bennett has offered to add locations from Nancy's list; Michele will
clarify with him what he is willing to take on.  At some point, FCLA would
like to transfer Database Locator to MetaLib (sp?).  In the meantime,
Michele will send out a copy of Rich's instructions on using the Catalyst
template to update information."

It is true that I had suggested (not on the list) that if records for all
databases were added and coded to show subscribing institutions, the
separate database list Nancy has created might not be necessary to maintain
in the future. However, I was not volunteering to add records and code
locations for the databases each institution subscribes to (I really don't
have the time -- especially since I am UF's LMS Project Manager now). While
I am happy to continue doing this for the databases the SUL has in common,
each institution (except UWF) has a representative they sent to a workshop
for training on DBL maintenance (in November, 2000). The list of reps is at
http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/webluis/dbl/list.html. The page with detailed DBL
record creation/maintenance instructions is at
http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/webluis/dbl/. I will certainly be happy to continue
serving members of this group as a resource, but I think the actual work
needs to be done locally. I think it's also important not to look at
addition/coding of any records as simply a one-time "project";
records/location codes will need to continue to be added/deleted as your
subscriptions change.

It would be possible for an institution that does not intend to use the DBL
as a primary public access tool to invest a minimum amount of staff time in
DBL maintenance. For example, it would probably be quite easy to take
Nancy's list, sort it to identify your local subscriptions, and add your
institution's location code to any existing DBL records that have already
been created by other institutions. Then simply create minimal records for
any databases not currently shown. This might not require anything more than
copying/pasting the database name and the URL into a template, and adding
your location code. Including a description of the resource and subjects
could be optional (this data could always be filled in later if desired).
Then you'd just need to make sure your DBL rep is kept up-to-date on
additions/deletions that are needed to accurately represent the current
status of your collection in the DBL.

Rich

P.S. You may want to consider inserting my comments in the minutes.