]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  July 2002

SOCNET July 2002

Re: RV: informal networks in farming communities - SNA

Jacqueline Ortiz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:22:47 -0500

Dear Elsie:

It's nice to hear of others doing SNA research in South America. I am
doing a project in Buenos Aires on the Global Barter Market using a
network perspective.  Even though my research setting is urban, I have
run across a few sources that might help you.  I suggest you look at the
Social Capital Initiative papers on the IRIS home page.  The initiative
is sponsored by the World Bank.  Some of the papers have useful
observations on methodological adjustments for research in rural
settings (in developing nations). The WB Social Capital site may also be
useful since much of the research is done in rural areas.

Anirudh Krishna and Uphoff, Norman.  1999. "Mapping and Measuring Social
Capital: A Conceptual and Empirical Study of Collective Action for
Conserving and Developing Watersheds in Rajaasthan, India" Social
Capital Initiative Working Paper 13.  The World Bank: Washington DC.

Here is the link:
http://www.iris.umd.edu/publications/detail.asp?ID=sci&number=13

Good luck,

Jacqueline Ortiz