Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: ARMA Pres-elect candidate question

"David K. Kasparian" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:55:35 -0700

text/plain

Hello all,

I do not know Gisele Crawford, I have never met her, but her comments on
Strategic Information Management (SIM) and the Strategic Information
Institute (SII) seem to me to be wise and understanding of the direction
business in general is taking.

Where in your organization are the priorities set? Where is funding
approved? It is with top management!

Gisele seems to recognize what many have missed. If SII can educate, and
inform the top management of organizations about the importance of treating
information as an asset then the following will occur:

Information Management and its subset records management will become
proactive instead of reactive.
The enterprises need to process all documents and records will be
understood.
The entire field of records management will be elevated in importance.

Gisele also seems to understand that ARMA International serves a very
valuable purpose for its membership and it should continue to do so. But it
has not been able to have the needed effect on senior management because it
is rightly directed to providing services to its membership.

A new vehicle the Strategic Information Institute is needed to achieve the
goals associated with changing the view and importance of how to process
information in the eyes of senior management. Thankfully ARMA International
has provided this tool for us.

Do you agree with Gisele's views as she expresses them below? Have you been
observing the changes in Law and Technology that are the pillars supporting
changes in our business environment? Don't stay on the sidelines!
Investigate these issues for yourself. These issues will affect you and ARMA
International.

Don't just accept my view or the view of any other person submitting
information to this listserve. Review all of these ideas, and examine the
changes in law and technology within the passed three years, and then
determine your own point of view. I will look forward to hearing from all of
you on this subject.

David K. Kasparian

Start of comments from Gisele from the ARMA Forum
Kimberly, thank you for asking the questions.

1.     How much time do you foresee will be required of you on a weekly
basis if you are elected?

Predicting how much time would be required per week is difficult.  In
speaking with Past Presidents of ARMA and asking that exact question many of
them said as high at 50% work and 50% ARMA, some days more and some days
less.

2.     Are you able to commit this additional time to your schedule in such
a way that you can work toward your goals successfully?

Achieving my goals is achieving the goals of the association.  I have in the
past and will continue to commit the time it takes to successfully achieve
the goals.

It is my intention to give whatever attention is required to meet the needs
of the member, the profession and the association by utilizing the support
systems available to me; my friends and colleagues, the leadership of this
association, my employer and my family to successfully achieve the goals of
this association.

3.     There has been an ongoing debate with some members as to how the
Recmgmt-L listserv should be utilized for communications.  Members like
myself who do not choose to subscribe to the "listserv", are thinking
"Enough already!". What solutions do you foresee for resolving this debate
and moving forward?

I believe that has been resolved by the communication task force when they
recommended in their report that since the RM listserv it is not managed by
ARMA, and includes ARMA and non-ARMA members, they felt that it was not an
appropriate tool to communicate directly to the ARMA membership.

ARMA International communicates with members in a number of ways, including
the website, this forum, electronic broadcast, the Information Management
Journal and conventional mail services.

As a member of the RM listserv, I enjoy the RM listserv as a source of
information and value the individual candid discussions. I appreciate that
ARMA International does not use it as an official communication method.

4.     There have been a lot of issues & debate re: the Strategic
Information Management "project".  Where do you stand on this?

I am very much in support of Strategic Information Management (SIM) and the
Strategic Information Institute (SII) as an initiative of ARMA
International.  To describe my support and commitment to this initiative, I
am currently an active director on both the SII and ARMA International Board
of Directors.  It is my intention to work hard toward the success of this
initiative.

ARMA's role as the professional association is to ensure that members are
offered a full spectrum of educational opportunities, from basic to the
latest technologies; that the profession is marketed and recognized, and
that member' needs are being met.

The Institutes role is to enable organizations to meet their maximum
potential in efficiency, competitiveness and profitability by educating and
developing senior management professionals in strategically managing their
information assets and offering organizations best practices through
accreditation programs.

When I look to the future, the success of SII clearly dictates the success
of the information management professional.

Gisele

End of comments from Gisele