RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: Records Managers Responsibility

Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:43:03 -0700

text/plain

>If we are in government or in a private corporation what is a record?

If "we" are in Government, 36 CFR, Part 1220, makes it very clear:

Records include all books, papers, maps, photographs, machine readable
materials, or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or
characteristics, made or received by an agency of the United States
Government under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of
public business and preserved or appropriate for preservation by that
agency or its legitimate successor as evidence of the organization,
functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations or other activities
of the Government or because of the informational value of the data in them
(44 U.S.C. 3301).

In the private sector, it's up to the organization to determine what is or
isn't a record, but they take a good portion of their guidance from the
definition above.

>What was the domain of all of the records for
>your organization 10 years ago? 5 years ago? Today? 5 years in the future?

If by domain, you mean what media were they housed on or how were they
recorded or created, that has been and will continue to change for long
periods of time, but as stated by others during the IT/RM discussion, don't
confuse INFORMATION with DOCUMENTS and don't confuse DOCUMENTS with
RECORDS.  The definition above clearly states "...regardless of physical
form or characteristics..." so, if you are charged with the management of
records, you are to perform that function in accordance with this definition:

Records management, as used in subchapter B, means the planning,
controlling, directing, organizing, training, promoting, and other
managerial activities involved with respect to records creation, records
maintenance and use, and records disposition in order to achieve adequate
and proper documentation of the policies and transactions of the Federal
Government and effective and economical management of agency operations.

>This is changing as we receive laws that change the types of records that
>are acceptable in the courts. It is also changing due to federal and state
>regulations. It is also changing with regard to the peculiarities of the
>organization you are a part of and how you conduct you business.

I'm afraid not... what is changing is the media in which the records exist
and are being generated and collected. The "types" of records aren't
changing, only the form and format.  If you are in the Federal arena, and
it fits into the above definition of "records", then you manage it these
systems with these requirements:

Recordkeeping requirements means all statements in statutes, regulations,
and agency directives or authoritative issuances, that provide general and
specific requirements for Federal agency personnel on particular records to
be created and maintained by the agency.

Recordkeeping system is a manual or automated system in which records are
collected, organized, and categorized to facilitate their preservation,
retrieval, use, and disposition.

>The most important consideration is how are we going to classify these
>various types, forms, and media of records.

Once again, "...regardless of physical form or characteristics..." a record
is a record.  Classifications don't change because of form or media.

>Records used to be delivered to records managers. Sometimes they assisted or
>participated in helping departments to identify them but it has been a
>reactive process. Over time the important records in an organization were
>classified and retained. Some have been ignored.

Given the limited time you've been involved in Records Management, I'm
afraid you may not be best suite to giving "history lessons" on how records
management has evolved over time.

>We are now in a time when a bright light is shinning on the
>prior basement process called records management.

It's these kind of statements that make people like ARMA's ED drool.... the
concept that RM has been a "basement process"... believe me Mr. K, you're
not endearing yourself to many people around here by characterizing RIM as
a basement process.

>Records management has over the years been changing as most
>things do. But, I believe we will see exponential change in this field in
>the next five years.

If you think it's going to happen in the NEXT FIVE YEARS, you've obviously
been "in the basement" for the PAST 5 or more years.  We've been seeing
exponential change for a period of time now, it's just that some have
failed to take their heads out of the sand long enough to recognize
it.  Sure, there's going to be even MORE CHANGE in the next five years, but
one thing that's become clear over the past year is there is going to be a
resurgence in the need to address "best business practices" and start
documenting existing policies and procedures to justify actions taken.

>I know that some of you and your records management operations may be
>exceptions to this, but I am speaking in generalities.

No, you are speaking in demeaning terms and failing to recognize that many
RIM organizations have been progressing over time and rising to the call of
"the new paradigm" since the 1990s and earlier in some cases.

>I am not saying that we should all go out and buy some kind of automatic
>classification system, although some systems have these features. I am
>saying that due to the changes I have described records managers must be
>concerned with the classification of all information as a part of the
>organizations systems for records management to be performed.

There you go again with the "information and records" thingy.  Information
is contained in RECORDS.  If the records are being adequately managed, the
next step is to further the process to gain access to the information,
either through the use of content management systems or classification
systems.  These are TOOLS, not processes.

(Gobble-de-gook snipped)

>Then these systems must interface with the newly
>available enterprise document and records management systems so that the
>records are retained. These systems must be designed so that automatically
>the issues of records retention, security, and privacy are satisfied. The
>systems and technologies to do this job exist today.

But these "systems" don't take into the account the need to ensure records
are migrated periodically and that media remains legible and stable enough
to gain access to the records contained (not RETAINED) in the systems. They
also don't take into account issues of hardware and operating system
obsolescence or preservation and archiving of records for historical
purposes.  The systems don't do this, the Records Managers do.

>They must become more knowledgeable regarding the organizations workflow
>and how to integrate records management into the process. They must
>understand at an overview level the changes in technology with regard to
>IT and the business of their organization.

Many of the DO understand these things... many of them (as expressed in the
IT/RM discussion) feel that IT does nothing more than operate the networks
and servers that the records reside on, and that it should be incumbent
upon IT to gain a greater understanding of how RM works, and to find ways
to support it better.  IT is the warehouse, RM is the customer.  It's the
folks that come from the IT side of the equation that support your
viewpoint, no one else.

>Lastly they must with IT personnel be concerned with
>integrating the automatic classification into the design of systems in such
>a way that the end users do not have to be trained to be records managers.

You need to get off this "automatic classification" soapbox!  Taxonomy is
only a small portion of it- automatic classification schemes are only as
good as the groundwork that goes into building them, and that is highly
dependent upon RMs working with the discreet organizations who generate the
records that contain the information used by the enterprise.  End users
need not be trained to be records managers, records managers need to work
with end users to determine what they  need and how they want to gain
access to the information contained in the records to help develop systems
that allow them to achieve these goals... and then IT simply needs to
support it.

>Note to all: Please if you are to comment do so on the above issues.

Consider it done.

Larry Medina
-no commercial message required following my post.