Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: Records Managers Responsibility

"David K. Kasparian" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:38:52 -0700

text/plain

Peter wrote:

> You are incorrect again Peter, I have a lot of respect for RIM. I also
have
> a lot of respect for records managers. I think that respect is due them
> because of their professionalism, because of their knowledge, and because
of
> their dedication. Not just because of their title or because of where they
> have performed their work.

Well David you fooled me! especially since I read the following in one of
your postings.
http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0207&L=recmgmt-l&P=R5741

David wrote:
<snip>
I am not saying that people should give up their RIM designation. I also
recognize that ARMA has grown to over 10,000 plus members and
theirprofession
is recognized.But we are in changing times. The changes are so monumental
with regards to records management that we must adapt to these changes.
At one time there were many Blacksmiths who were associated with the
transportation industry. There are still Blacksmiths who are shoeing
horsesand fixing buggies, etc.But, when the automobile came along some of
them worked on them asBlacksmith's and then later adopted the name Auto
Mechanic. They still fixedand repaired transportation equipment. Some of
them
had to learn new techniques.
<snip>
<snip>
I am sure that their will always be Blacksmiths working on horses,
anhonorable profession, but they are fewer in number.
<snip>

Sure seems to me that you are implying that a lot of those opposed to
SII/SIM
are like the blacksmiths who didn't adapt to the automobile age.

David also wrote:
<snip>
What about before their were officially records managers. Weren't there file
clerks, or secretarial assistants? Records managers, as a title is a much
better fit and define the nature of the functions. All records managers
should not and will not become Strategic Information Officers. But, they
need
to update their skills. They need to be recognized as a critical part of a
more important function.
<snip>

Sure sounds like a lot of respect to me.

My response:

It is a lot of respect Peter! I respect that the other readers of the
listserve will read the entire message to which you have provided the link
and not just the snippets that you have referred to out of context to make
your point.

If you read the rest of the message you will see that I am not recommending
that all of the records managers become strategic information officers. I am
recommending that they acquire new skills to prepare themselves for change.
The discussion about file clerks or secretarial assistants was to show that
records managers have come a long way by the nature of the functions they
perform, not because of a title.

This latest discussion we had wasn't even about SII or SIM it was about
records managers responsibilities in light of the changes that are
occurring.

There are a lot of deficiencies in IT especially with regard to the
knowledge of records management and of proper records management procedures.
IT people need to train themselves also.

However, which discipline is more firmly entrenched in the organization. IT
has a CIO at its head. Its structure is more uniform when you go from
organization to organization. Records management reports all over the place.
Also many times I have found that records managers don't even have the
records manager title. I am not saying these things to downgrade records
managers I just think that we should promote records management into working
proactively on the solutions that will be required to support the change
that will occur.

Strategic Information Management is of a much larger scope than records
management. In my view it includes knowledge management, data warehousing,
data mining, security of data and privacy issues. But, records management is
a key component of the whole. As such if the concept of strategic
information management is successful the way that SII is promoting it than
all of the records managers gain the benefit by being part of the
organization reporting to the Strategic Information Officer.

This will be beneficial not only for records managers, but for their
organizations. If IT is left to solve all of these problems without
knowledgeable records managers to participate in these projects and in the
ongoing management of the systems than the organization will suffer. If the
records management function is assimilated by IT then there is danger of its
principles being diluted. But there is more danger of this assimilation now
than ever before.

Records management has been able to continue as it has in various
organizations because of the need for records management tasks to be
performed. Yet, it reports all over the place. When I have seen it reporting
to the Legal Department it seems to have been most successful. This is due
to the clout of the legal department.

But guess what, because it has been associated with the boxes of hardcopy
documents and the needed organization of the companies files and records I
know of management people who have passed it off to others because they
didn't want to be associated with the function. It is sometimes a thankless
job.

It is becoming more critical and the duties will require the modern records
manager to become more closely entwined in the technology and objectives of
the organization. This will make it more visible and more desirable.

In future there will be systems that provide users a directory structure so
that when they place a document in a directory, then all of the document
management and records retention issues will be fulfilled. This will be
because the records managers will have worked with the associated department
to develop the classification plan that best suits their needs. They will
work with the IT group to install and maintain that system for the end users
benefit. This will occur for e-mail, and all documents created at the
desktop. Wireless transactions, PDA transactions, and Internet transactions
will require the system to be designed with the classification of these
documents and records considered in the design process.

I do not think that the records manager will be the keeper of the disk
drives like they are now the keeper of the records storage boxes. It is the
leveraging of their existing records management knowledge with new
technology information that will make them most valuable.

It seems to me that some of you are hung up on the records manager title. I
know that I come from IT but if you really read my recommendations in the
archives you will see that what I am promoting is for records managers to be
aware of the effect of the coming changes on themselves and their
organizations and to prepare themselves for it.

David K. Kasparian