]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

It's time to consider your career direction and your options!

"David K. Kasparian" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 00:33:19 -0700

text/plain

Hello to all,

It doesn't matter weather you are a member of ARMA International or not, it
is time for you to consider your options and what is in your best interest.
What are in the best interest of your future career and what is in the best
interest of the organizations you support.

As you may be aware, within the ARMA International membership there are
those who support and those who oppose the Strategic Information Management
initiative and the Strategic Information Institute. Please consider the
following three areas.

First, try to determine for yourself where business, government and all of
the organizations are heading. What is their direction?

        Are they headed to more and more use of electronic records?
(For example did you know that there is now a web site where you can perform
the full purchase of a house on-line?)

All electronic records must be categorized maintained and treated just as
hardcopy records. Those that are records must be retained, and be able to be
proved to be valid records. The systems that maintain and control electronic
records must meet standards that will contribute to the validation of the
records as accurate.

Will organizations look to Information Technology groups to install these
systems that have absorbed the necessary records management expertise and
the associated people into themselves. Or, will records managers exist in
enlightened organizations as a part of a Strategic Information Management
group perhaps under a Strategic Information Officer? I hope for the latter
but in any event we need to educate ourselves to flow along with this river
of change.

Second, those of you familiar with ARMA International are aware that it
provides a wealth of services to its membership. It has over the years
established itself and its membership as professionals in records
management.

        As an organization it has in the recent past even renamed itself to try to
associate itself as the organization of information management
professionals.
The strength of ARMA is in its membership and in the needed services that it
can continue to perform to educate and support them.

Yes, its even getting more expensive to be a member, and guess what it is
cheaper than many of the IT organizations to which I belong. I recommend
membership to you. As a consultant the cost of membership in such
professional organizations and in educational seminars has always proved to
be a good personal investment. It is in my view one of the best personal
investments you can make, even if your organization doesn't support you.

The weakness of ARMA is in its history as an organization of records
managers that have been mainly associated with hardcopy records management.
ARMA has not been able to elevate the importance of records management and
especially strategic information management (both of them not new terms) to
the high degree of importance they deserve in our organizations.
Look at the industries of the ARMA members who have achieved a high degree
of status and are considered high tech by the membership. They are many of
them in highly regulated industries, in large organizations or government
agencies. (Healthcare, Insurance, Utilities, Nuclear Reactors, Petroleum,
and Pharmaceuticals to name a few.) But in many of the other industries and
local government agencies they don't even seem to know that records
management exists.

The goal of the Strategic Information Institute (SII) is to do what ARMA
International alone has not been able to accomplish. SII as a tool under
ARMA International's control has this chance. I believe it will achieve its
goals, continue on, and possibly succeed in its objectives. If it is even
part way successful it will help not only information management but also
all of the membership of ARMA.

Third, consider the possibility that even with our support, that due to the
normal risk of starting an Institute such as SII, and that due to the
negative viewpoint of the many nay Sayers, that the Strategic Information
Institute could fail.

Under these circumstances then those of us who have supported the Strategic
Information Institute and aligned our thinking and efforts with its goals
will have advanced our own education and professional skills in the correct
direction, the direction that all of the organizations we are a part of are
taking. That direction is in the proper categorization and processing of
electronic records, and in treating information as an asset.

We will eventually be installing systems that deal with all enterprise
document and records management, including voice data, PDA transactions, and
e-mail.
We must learn to deal with all documents and determine which will become
records, and how they will be categorized, as the systems are designed.

Records management in the past has been reactive. Many times the
identification of what is to be retained and sent to the records centers
were performed by others not properly educated to perform this function. We
must be proactive in the future being able to process all of the prior
hardcopy documents and records as well as virtual electronic records. Many
of us will need to acquire some elementary IT system design skills.

We must add to our skill set to be able to be a part of this future process
and to be able to reap the rewards associated with having the knowledge to
do this job.
ARMA International will continue to provide us with valuable training and
benefits as members seeking to advance in records management, and
information processing.

But, if the Strategic Information Institute were to fail then we must look
for other organizations that will uphold these same principals and achieve
these same goals so that we will be successful.

I say this because I believe that the concepts and principals that caused
the founding of the Strategic Information Institute are sound.

Please consider one last issue:

Many of the nay Sayers regarding SII do not attack its founding concepts
even though sometimes they claim that they do not yet understand them. They
attack the way SII was created; they attack the right of the prior board of
directors to spend their money. The prior board of directors may be a board
of directors that they helped to elect. Their objections are routed in the
past. Even more important, they do not have any alternate plan. They want to
go on with a status quo. They may even believe that ARMA International will
be able to achieve these goals without SII. (Guess what, SII is owned by
ARMA International, It's ours, its' our baby.)

SII is like a baby, it may not be able to stand firmly yet, we may not even
like the way it was conceived, but it is here, it is established, it is
ours. It will grow and change and look different at different times. Are we
going to throw the baby out with the bathwater or are we going to try to
improve it, cherish it accept our parental responsibility toward it and
realize that it will be able to help us in the future.

The ARMA International Conference is coming up in New Orleans. If you are
fortunate, and are able to attend then review the session list in advance
and consider the many sessions on Information Management, Electronic Records
Management, Changes in the Business Environment, Strategic Information
Management, sessions that will help you with your career as a forward
looking person.

I look forward to meeting you if you are there.

David K. Kasparian

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND RECORDS MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS
David K. Kasparian, CNE, MIT              20426 Blythe St
ANALYTICAL SOLUTIONS                   Winnetka, CA 91306
Voice: (818) 998-4774                 Fax: (818) 718-7239
         E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]