]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: It's time to consider your career direction and your options!

Larry <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:08:03 -0700

text/plain

Boy, for someone who CLAIMS to understand and embrace the concept of
ELECTRONIC RECORDS MANAGEMENT,  you sure don't know much about how to
cut and paste and eliminate all the content of the messages you're
responding to.  It's obvious you spent a long time on the hardware side
of the equation... include all the old messages every time and they'll
need to buy more storage space!! =)

To make the messages more manageable, you'd want to STRATEGICALLY remove
all the content that was available elsewhere and only include that which
you were responding to, then you'd cut and paste that content so the
the unnecessary information and can have a smaller volume of data to
manage.

You know, it's important to embrace the skills required to go forward in
the RIM profession so that you can be an asset instead of just applying
the same old princiPLES that have served you well for many years, like
assessing the value of information (irrespective of form or format) and
applying sound records management practices to that information for it's
like cycle.

Okay, now WHERE WERE WE...????

>As you may be aware, within the ARMA International membership there are
>those who support and those who oppose the Strategic Information Management
>initiative and the Strategic Information Institute.

You BET there are.  And it would serve you well to go back and read  the
hundreds of messages Peter provided the links to a couple of days ago,
and IF you could still access the ORIGINAL messages from the first
attempt at a Forum ARMA established a year ago (which they failed to
strategically manage as an asset to the Information Profession they
serve "so well") you'd find the rest of the messages which clearly
detailed the concerns related to both the MANNER in which it was done
and the LACK OF DISCUSSION around the subject with ARMA's
shareholders... it's membership.

You'd also remember the miserably failed Conference they held in Crystal
City (ask HQ and Leadership why the recent "Super ISG", attended by less
than 70 people, was held there) and the fact that when it was first
advertised, ARMA's name NEVER APPEARED on ANY of the documentation, even
though they (make that WE) were funding the ENTIRE EVENT.  The intended
attendees were the IT, CIO, CEO, Executives and other non RIM people who
ARMA was supposedly "promoting" as the ones who would provide the
services that SIM was supposed to offer to the attendees.

You'll find that there were many fewer messages supporting the proposal
as it was put forth than there were opposing it.. and you'd find the
reasons for the opposition were much more than the way it was delivered,
they were based on a complete lack of information as to HOW THEY PLANNED
TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

>Please consider the following three areas.
>
>First, try to determine for yourself where business, government and all of
>the organizations are heading. What is their direction?

If you think this question is in some major way answered by the tools
SII purports to offer, you're reading the wrong trade and industry
publications.  Even to the extent that organizations are heading towards
more electronic methods of handling information, there is NOTHING in the
recently released Business Plan for SII that provides any information
related to how they intend to ACHIEVE this.

>Second, those of you familiar with ARMA International are aware that it
>provides a wealth of services to its membership. It has over the years
>established itself and its membership as professionals in records
>management.

More to the point, those of us familiar with the HISTORY of ARMA
International know the services it USED TO PROVIDE to it's membership.
 We are well aware of the deterioration of those services, especially
over the past few years.  The area ARMA has become weakest in is
advocacy and public relations, and while I feel Bob Tillman has been
doing a good job of trying to put ARMA's "best foot forward" and get the
Association's name out in the press for the past year, it's a "tough row
to hoe" when you don't have any funding to achieve it.

Maybe if the money wasted on advertising the conference in Crystal City
had been spent to get ARMA's name in some prominent trade and business
journals or well read newspapers we'd have been better served as an
Association and Profession. Maybe if  more had been done to ATTEND and
SPEAK at the conferences of other associations (AHIMA, AICPA, ABA, AMA,
etc.) ARMA could have gotten the message out to executives about the
value of understanding RIM and embracing what it can do to provide
assistance to the managing of information in the "new electronic world".
 Instead, ARMA had some hare brained notion that these people were going
to spend $1600 to cone to a conference to hear some never before heard
of "Institute" that was born overnight tell them what they need to
know.

>The strength of ARMA is in its membership and in the needed services that it
>can continue to perform to educate and support them.

This is the ONE THING that you said I'll agree with.  THE STRENGTH IS
THE MEMBERSHIP... and at all costs, ARMA needs to win back the
confidence of it's members.  And the way to do that is NOT to provide
some slipshod accounting of why it costs more to provide services to
it's members than they are paying for the sorely diminished services.
 They need to find out where they can cut back on costs that provide no
value to the Membership first, show that they know how to run leaner and
if they STILL can't make it, then ASK the members what they are willing
to do without to stay at the same rate, or what they are willing to pay
more for.

>The weakness of ARMA is in its history as an organization of records
>managers that have been mainly associated with hardcopy records management.

Huh?  That IS the history of ARMA!  The weakness is in ARMA's ability to
recognize and embrace change in a rapid enough fashion as it wa taking
place, always remaining BEHIND the curve and then taking "knee jerk
reactions" to try and catch up.  ARMA was NEVER willing to embrace
Knowledge Management when it first came on the horizon... look what has
become of those who have.

ARMA has always been at least a year behind the trends in business
because it's slow to act... it's HQ staff has virtually no one who is a
trained and practicing RIM (sorry Diane, you're the one shining
exception) and they don't get out and mix with business to stay abreast
of what's going on.  They've been content to sit back in Kansas and bury
their head in the sand, making excuses as to why they can't do things to
promote the profession and chasing some non existent pot of gold at the
the end of an ever elusive rainbow.  They operate in a vacuum, assuming
they know what the members and business wants and needs... because they
don't ask.  Even the "famous Forbes Report" when finally released in
it's redacted form doesn't support that claim that SII is what industry
wants... it's a bunch of rehashed quotes, statements and reports that
Forbes had issued for a year or more prior to what they provided ARMA,
and it was targeted based on the outcomes the ED wanted it to have.
 Hopefully, he got what he wanted, because he certainly didn't get what
the RIM Profession NEEDED.

>ARMA has not been able to elevate the importance of records management and
>especially strategic information management (both of them not new terms) to
>the high degree of importance they deserve in our organizations.

This isn't only ARMA's responsibility... it's the responsibility of
EVERY MEMBER OF THE PROFESSION.  We all need to be advocates of the
value and importance of the work we perform, we can't sit back and
expect the Association to do it for us.  What we can expect is that they
promote the profession to industry and business, and that's what they've
failed to do an effective job of.

And the term SIM is new.  The concept of strategically managing
information or managing information strategically aren't, but the term
as used by ARMA definitely is.

>Look at the industries of the ARMA members who have achieved a high degree
>of status and are considered high tech by the membership. They are many of
>them in highly regulated industries, in large organizations or government
>agencies. (Healthcare, Insurance, Utilities, Nuclear Reactors, Petroleum,
>and Pharmaceuticals to name a few.)

That's right... and it's because the INDUSTRY drove the need for this to
happen and the "...records managers that have been mainly associated
with hard copy records management..." that you view as the biggest
problem with ARMA are who made it happen in those industries and
organizations.  Ask any member of the ARMA Utilities or Petroleum
IAC/ISGs how they made it happen and where they got their training and
skills.  They didn't sit around and say "well, I'll never get anywhere
because ARMA isn't providing me the tools I need to progress"... they
took it upon themselves to develop mid-year meetings that had the
content needed to educate and assist them in embracing technology.  They
established benchmarking committees and evaluated new technologies,
shared success and failure stories and they move forward because of it.

>But in many of the other industries and local government agencies they don't even seem to know that records management exists.

I can provide many examples of where you're wrong here.  A PRIME example
is the city in which ARMA is now headquartered... Lenexa, Kansas KNOW RM
exists.

>The goal of the Strategic Information Institute (SII) is to do what ARMA
>International alone has not been able to accomplish. SII as a tool under
>ARMA International's control has this chance. If it is even part way successful it will help not only information management but also all of the membership of ARMA.

A lofty goal, I must say.  And I've seen NOTHING to show HOW they intend
to do this.  As I said before, the business plan CERTAINLY doesn't
support it.  Phase one is a two year effort targeting other associations
and educational institutions... SII has 6 months to come up with $1
Million to be further supported by ARMA.  They have no business plan, no
milestoned schedule, part-time leadership and $75k that ARMA gave them
to get the $1 Million.  How many industries and organizations do you
think are going to look at what SII has done since April of 2001 and say
"Oh yeah, this looks like it's successfully planned and has been well
run... gimme a piece of that!"

>Third, consider the possibility that even with our support, that due to the
>normal risk of starting an Institute such as SII, and that due to the
>negative viewpoint of the many nay Sayers, that the Strategic Information
>Institute could fail.

Well, we can all hope for logic to prevail....

>ARMA International will continue to provide us with valuable training and
>benefits as members seeking to advance in records management, and
>information processing.

Maybe this will allow ARMA to re-focus it's efforts on doing just these
things that it's supposed to be doing instead of expending so much
effort on SII.  Seeing as there IS NO STAFF for SII, it's rather obvious
what staff has been doing everything up to this point.  How long is THIS
going to be allowed to continue?  How much of the ED's time is spent
here instead of on ARMA work that he's paid for? I'd like to see the
Employment Agreement he works under and see the line entry that says he
should be compensated FOR SPENDING ANY TIME working on non ARMA work.
 SII is supposed to be a for profit effort, ARMA is a not for profit.
 Why should ARMA HQ Staff be expending any effort to support it and
taking work away from supporting ARMA??

>Please consider one last issue:
>
>Many of the nay Sayers regarding SII do not attack its founding concepts
>even though sometimes they claim that they do not yet understand them. They
>attack the way SII was created; they attack the right of the prior board of
>directors to spend their money. The prior board of directors may be a board
>of directors that they helped to elect. Their objections are routed in the
>past. Even more important, they do not have any alternate plan. They want to
>go on with a status quo. They may even believe that ARMA International will
>be able to achieve these goals without SII. (Guess what, SII is owned by
>ARMA International, It's ours, its' our baby.)

Please... how stupid and uninformed do you think we are?  What is the
intent here in attacking the outgoing Board of Directors and Leadership
and saying it was all their fault this took place?  Do you REALLY think
they were to blame?  The Chairman of the Board, President and majority
of the past Board and Leadership are all still there... and will be for
another 2-3 years.  More to the point, the Executive Director is STILL
there... and has been through ALL of this, and with the changes enacted
to the By-Laws and ALs June of last year, he sits as a either a voting
or non-voting ex-officio member on essentially EVERY committee involved
in making decisions on all of the issues surrounding SII.

Granted there are new Board Members, in fact, these are the first
members elected since the failed "Fiasco in Crystal City" and the
knowledge of the $500,000k poured down the rat hole known as SII.  And
now we have an opportunity to elect a NEW President Elect.  Take a look
at the position supported by at least two of the newly elected Board
members relative to the expenditures thus far on SII/SIM and maybe that
will give you a clearer idea of what it is the membership wants.  Status
Quo? I don't think so...  Again, I encourage all members to closely
evaluate the materials for the election regarding the candidates and
vote accordingly.

I wish you all a VERY happy Independence Day.... and I wish for this
Professional Association independence from a seriously flawed attempt to
address the need to move forward having to be made from outside rather
than inside.

Larry Medina