RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: Response from your ARMA President

"Haller, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:13:38 -0400

text/plain

EEE Gad ... this sounds like campaign politics.  Better watch out and not run afoul of the ALs and get thrown in the Kansas State Pen!

Stephen E. Haller, CRM
Williamsburg, VA

----
Give me liberty or give me SIM!

-----Original Message-----
From: John Phillips [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Response from your ARMA President

Peter,

Regarding the statement in your e-mail that "my original questioned posted
on the Forum was that Board members were specifically making presentations
about SII and that questions were raised then about SII. So once again
(paraphrasing myself) are ARMA/SII Board members making presentations about
SII at Regional Leadership Conferences this year."

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail I recently sent to the other Region
Managers about the July 12-13 SE Region Leadership Meeting in Memphis,
Tennessee:

"We had our Region Leadership Conference in Memphis two weeks ago, and for
the most part, everything went well. ...

However - I think that Gisele Crawford and Claudette Samuels, our attending
Board members, got a real eye-opener when it comes to the negative
perception in the ranks about SIM/SII and ARMA's dues increase. What was
supposed to be a one-hour presentation on SIM by Gisele, created
"discussion" that consumed all of the first morning as the attendees asked:

1) Why is ARMA pursing SIM when it does not affect our jobs in any way we
can see for the near future?
2) What is this situation where ARMA wants to recommend that CEOs hire
"certified SIM" professionals, as that competes directly with us talking to
our own CEOs?
3) Why can't ARMA concentrate on offering us the educational support
programs we need?
4) Is this dues increase just to pay for the SIM stuff?
Etc. Etc. Absolutely no one wanted ARMA to agressively pursue SIM, while
Gisele tried valiantly to explain SIM in a better light, not seeming to
realize that they simply do not want SIM and do not identify with it. They
really don't seem to be very receptive to being told that it will have
advantages for them "some day."

Get the picture? Gisele was just trying to present SIM in a positive light.
However, as the members really begin to understand this stuff they become
increasingly disenchanted with what they think ARMA is doing/not doing
regarding these issues. There are now several letters from a number of
chapters being sent to the BOD and leadership telling them to please wake up
and fundamentally address these issues by RE-PRIORITIZING RIM relative to
SIM/SII activities within the Association.

Probably the most important election in ARMA's history is occuring right
now. I sincerely hope that everyone has voted.

John

John T. Phillips MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Information Technology Decisions
865-966-9413; www.infotechdecisions.com