]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: records management needs vs. disk space needs...it's MUCH more than that!!

Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:19:11 -0700

text/plain

>I am currently locked in mortal combat (well it feels like it) with the IT
>section in my organisation regarding their need to implement measures to
>reduce the amount of information stored by employees on network drives.
>Understandably, the IT section wishes to reduce the amount of information
>stored in order to reduce costs, reduce the need for extra servers to be
>bought etc.  However, their answer to the problem is to tell people to
>"delete information you don't need" which doesn't really take into account
>the records management requirement to retain corporate information.

A true (and unfortunately common) "pickle" you're in here!  I'd say the
FIRST thing you need to do is to ensure no "global destruction to save
space" edict is issued by IT.  To make this happen, you'll need to meet
with your counterpart in IT, or possibly have your boss talk to their
boss.  They need to be made aware of the records retention schedule the
organization is required to adhere to and the consequences of failing to
comply... especially of "knowingly destroying" records. Once you've gotten
to that point, you can move forward in a measured manner and attempt to
work with IT on an organization by organization basis, determining what
their goals are and then working with the "owners" of the information to
control the volume.

IT needs to be made aware there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to
storage requirements... and that some records are required for EXTENSIVE
periods of time.  Some of the records MAY be able to be moved off of
servers and onto backup tapes, but they may be requested to mount those
tapes regularly if the data needs to be accessed- so it may be a
trade-off.  Labor for maintaining an "active tape library", mounting the
tapes and reading the information back onto a server may overshadow what
they save from not purchasing additional server space.

Given you organization is called "Transport" groups such as finance,
procurement, engineering, construction and design have very large
repositories of information that need to be accessed as long as projects
are active.  Some of this information may need to be available in the event
of emergencies as well, and it might not be prudent to move it off servers
if it's a case of public safety being compromised.  HR and worker's
exposure records may need to be retained for extensive periods of time and
accessed on a random basis, so moving these to tape could also compromise
the organization's ability to do it's work effectively.

>We don't have an EDMS/ERMS (yet) and so I'm looking for some
>interim measures that I can implement until we do have an EDMS/ERMS.

The key here will be education.  And this will go a long way towards making
your eventual transition to an EDMS/ERMS much smoother.  You may want to
approach the individuals in your organization's various groups who are
responsible for administration of the hard copy files and find out how
these files are set up.  Typically, they're by subject, or in the case of
many engineering type scenarios, by project, then by subject.  Once you've
gotten an understanding of this, ask them how they have their electronic
files set up.  If you get a blank stare, don't be surprised =)  If you see
a light bulb go on, you're half way there!

Subject matter files are loosely arranged around a record series concept,
and can easily be mapped over to the organization's record retention
schedule.  This makes destruction of records a relatively easy process to
accomplish in the paper world.  What the administrators need to understand
is that it's really NO DIFFERENT in the electronic environment. If they see
their computer as a file cabinet, or their group server as a file room, and
employ the same methods for categorizing files, it will be easy to
determine what gets retained and what destroyed, and the time frames for
each.

>I'm wondering therefore if any of my learned colleagues have examples of
>disk space / network storage policies within use within their organisations
>that you might be prepared to share with me.

I think it would be dangerous to presuppose the storage requirements or
policies or even attempt to use those of another without doing an
assessment of your specific needs.  Find out who is doing what now, through
an analysis and inventory, and then meet with IT to find out where they
feel they need the organization to be.  It could be that their desire for
what they see as an optimal solution is completely unworkable for the
organization to remain in compliance with regulations and requirements to
retain records for specified periods of time, and they may need to
reevaluate their position.  If that's the case, then obviously, Senior
Management will need to be brought into the picture.

>I am particularly interested
>in policies which take into account the combined needs of IT and RM.

Here's where the rubber meets the road!  What you're doing here is
something that a CIO or CKO type person would be doing, IF they saw the
direct link between RIM and IT.  Sorry for the alphabet soup sound of that
last sentence, but that's where you, and many of us are now.  IT cannot
work in a vacuum and make decisions that "people need to destroy stuff
because we have too much" and they aren't going to be interested in
identifying the record series associated with the information stored on the
servers and/or tapes, it's not their core business.  RIM cannot determine
the storage needs for a group (or organization) without analyzing the
specific record series the information is associated with and the retention
requirements for that data,  and then determining the current storage
volume and attempting to project the growth of that repository, based on
past trends.

These are very distinct functions performed by different parts of an
organization and neither really has a complete understanding of the
other.  In your situation, you are fortunate that you're getting the
opportunity to be brought into the equation early.  Others have also had
this opportunity, and others still need to begin to seek out these
opportunities to be able to bridge the gap between IT and RIM.

Form your OWN strategic alliances within your organization... if RIM does
the analysis and presents the data to substantiate the findings to Senior
Management, you will be in a much stronger position within your organization.

Good luck, Bernadette- let us know how it goes!

Larry
Lawrence Medina
Senior Records Administrator
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory