]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2002

RECMGMT-L July 2002

Re: It's time to consider your career direction and your options!

"David K. Kasparian" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:56:13 -0700

text/plain

Prior message from Peter Kurilecz:

David - what benefits will SII provide to records managers? This is not a
facetious question, but a serious one. Having read all the material, having
been involved in a majority of the discussions concerning SII/SIM I still do
not see any benefit from establishing SII.

What I do see is a dilution of effort and increased confusion amongst
industries.

My response:

I am glad you asked this question.

It all goes back to the question of how do we elevate the importance of the
records managers' position in the modern organization.

When we consider the positions of Janitors, Auto Mechanics and Brain
Surgeons, all of them honorable positions, they receive remuneration and
have an effect based on the job functions they perform. We tend to value
Brain Surgeons and treat them with higher levels of respect because they
work on our brains, and work in life and death situations. We may not view
Auto Mechanics with the same degree of respect although we give them
relative value associated with their working on our vehicles.

The bottom line here is records managers manage records. This is an
honorable profession, but how has it been viewed in the past and how can it
be viewed in the future.

If we look to the past the processing and storage of records is not a profit
maker, it is a cost center. It has been a necessary function. It has also
been associated with the keeping of the old boxes of records in the
warehouse, which we do not regularly need and when we do were unhappy
because there is usually a lawsuit involved.

How can this necessary function become more valuable to organizations, which
would bring benefit to records managers?

Now that the laws associated with the acceptability of electronic records
have been enacted, and because we are at a time where technology is moving
us to a higher degree of the use of electronic records in communication and
commerce, the goal of elevating the importance of records managers is
attainable.

How can this be done?

It is by training the top executives in organizations about the importance
of treating information as an asset, the importance of Strategic Information
Management, and showing them that this area is more of a profit center than
a cost center.

Now if we were at square one in this process we might come up with several
other ways to do this than by use of the Strategic Information Institute.
But the institute is here and I believe it can with our support achieve its
goals.

The top executives of organizations are not really interested in cost
centers unless they are cutting costs. They want profits. They are concerned
with assets. If they can be shown that the proper management of all
information, treating it as an asset is profitable, then we will have
additional justification for the installation of the needed enterprise
document and records management systems. They need to be shown that these
issues are important and that they must consider them of higher priority so
that their organizations will be competitive, profitable, and not loose
their assets in disasters, lawsuits, or SEC audits.

If you talk with most of these executives and ask them what part of their
organization should solve their problems with e-mail, choosing document
management systems, and the backup and processing of electronic records you
will probable get back the response Information Technology.

I come from Information Technology since 1969. These organizations could
absorb the knowledge and the existing records managers into their
operations, and perform these functions. However, I believe that the
direction that SII is taking in promoting the position of Strategic
Information Officer, the possible certification process that could in future
become valuable to organizations will provide needed controls and
professionalism in this process.

I have been working with records in information technology since 1969.
Records have always been of variable or fixed length with fields of
information for processing. That's the IT view.

I have worked in a banking environment where we didn't worry about records
management during software systems design because that was a different part
of the system. The incoming documents were saved on microfiche and the
outgoing reports, etc were sent to a records center.

Now we must be proactive with records management. As we design the systems
we must determine when the virtual records are to be captures, how the
screens of information are to be saved that make up the record, and what the
retention schedule number of the virtual record should be.

It is better in my view for organizations to leverage the expertise of their
existing records managers in this process. They may need some additional
training with regard to working with IT, IT systems design and development
techniques and to be brought up to speed on technology and where it is
headed. (Now some of the members of ARMA are already vary advanced in these
areas and you can see that it had provided them benefit in their
organizations, but I am talking about the membership in general)

I do not think that ARMA International without SII has much of a chance of
redirecting the viewpoint of the top-level executives in organizations as is
needed. If we were able to transform ARMA to do this function it would be at
the cost of its main mission regarding the training and benefits it should
provide to its membership.

SII needs to develop the consortium that is described in its business plan.
That consortium can thru various tools, promote the Strategic Management of
information as an asset. This has more chance of being accepted by top
management. This will cause the whole area of the management and retention
of information to be viewed as more important.

When records managers are a part of the career path that ultimately leads to
the Strategic Information Officer, they will be viewed as more important to
the organization of which they are a part.

In short, SII will benefit records managers by changing the viewpoint of top
management as to the importance of their work. Their work is also really
getting more important and they will be required to develop additional
skills to keep up with these changes.

My viewpoint has been affected by the following:

Reading the SII business plan summary.
Following the discussion on these subjects in the past on the listserv.
My view of changes in law and technology.
My IT experience,
My view of ARMA International for the past six years.

SII has a business plan; I believe it can be accomplished. But, like any
venture the finite details could change.

I think it would be invaluable if you, Larry Medina, Bill Benedon, all of
the members of FA, as well as many other members of ARMA were to lend
support to this effort and contribute to its success. As a result it may
change along the way but it would have an increased chance of success.

It was unfortunate that this effort has moved along so quickly, as a result
it has not been able to take advantage of those I have mentioned and many
others who could have made valuable contributions. Instead the poor
communication in the past has set people at odds.

I am a consultant in information technology and records management. As such
I joined ARMA about six years ago in order to find answers and add to my
education in records management. It has been a very supportive organization
with a group of very friendly and helpful people who are professionals. I
believe and always have that a person should contribute to the industry and
organizations that support them. I am sincere in my beliefs and am stating
these for I hope the benefit of all who read them.

I believe that all of those mentioned are also sincere in their belief and
support ARMA for similar reasons.

I do not think that I am wrong in my conclusions, but if I am then I need to
see from others how they are going to attack the changes that are happening
and that will affect all of us. What is the alternate plan?

Sincerely,

David K. Kasparian