]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  August 2002, Week 4

PSYART August 2002, Week 4

AGPA Free Online Trauma Panel Starts Sept. 3rd

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:42:01 -0400

text/plain

From:

Thu 12:12 PM

PsyBC-News <http://www.psybc.com>

FREE ONLINE TRAUMA SYMPOSIUM PRESENTED BY
THE AMERICAN GROUP PSYCHOTHERAPY ASSOCIATION AND
FUNDED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY FOUNDATION AND
THE AOL TIME WARNER FOUNDATION.

Dear AGPA Members and Colleagues,

The American Group Psychotherapy Association (AGPA) in response to
the events of September 11th and their aftermath is pleased to offer
a NEW free online symposium on using group to treat trauma, which
focuses on anniversary reactions. This symposium (the fourth in a
series) has been created under the auspices of the AGPA and will be
co-sponsored for purposes of continuing education credit by the AGPA
and PsyBC (<http://www.psybc.com>).

This new symposium is designed to extend the material offered in our
prior symposia and is entitled "Anniversary Reactions to 9/11." It
will take place from September 3rd through September 30th.

This symposium will be conducted by a specially organized panel of
experts in the group treatment of trauma. Discussions will center
around the readings listed, which will be available online for free
from the PsyBC library. The format is a panel discussion. During the
discussion members of the audience can email comments and questions
to the moderator which are then responded to by the panelists. The
symposium will take place over the course of four weeks.

AGPA members will receive continuing education credits at no cost as
a membership benefit.

Non-AGPA members wishing ceu's will receive continuing education
credits at $10/credit. (The discussion is free. Only the ceu's
require payment.)

We look forward to having a discussion about this important topic and
to providing AGPA members with this membership benefit.

See below for:

--> Program description
--> How to register
--> FAQ's

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO PROFESSIONAL MAILING
LISTS AND TO ANY INTERESTED COLLEAGUES

Anniversary Reactions to 9/11

September 3rd - September 30th

Panel:
Cecil Rice, PhD, CGP, FAGPA: Moderator
Shoshana Ben-Noam, PsyD, CGP
David Hescheles, PsyD, CGP, FAGPA
Miriam Iosupovici, MSW
Gloria Batkin-Kahn, EdD, CGP, FAGPA ABPP
Robert Klein, PhD, CGP, FAGPA
Victor Schermer, MA, CGP

A discussion of:
1. Gabriel, M. (1992). Anniversary Reactions: Trauma Revisited.
Clinical Social Work Journal, 20(2), 179-192.

Objectives:
a. Identify various clinical manifestations of anniversary reactions.

b. Understand the underlying psychological mechanisms involved in
anniversary reactions.

c. Learn the nature and meaning of anniversary reactions and the role
such phenomena
play in overall clinical practice.

2. Norberg, M. (2000) Oklahoma City Remembers. Emergency Medical
Services 29(4), 39-44 (April 2000).

Objectives:
a.  Learn the importance of anti-terrorism programs in preparing
first-responders in cities to work together to more effectively
combat terrorist strikes.

b. Learn to anticipate, recognize and prepare for the long lasting
emotional impact such
traumatic events and their anniversaries can cause.

c.  Understand how another event can trigger improperly processed
anniversary reactions even among people who previously demonstrated
successful coping.

3. Hull, J., Lane, R., & Gibbons, B. (1993). Early Object Loss and
"Secret Anniversaries of the Heart." Psychoanalytic Psychology,
10(1), 77-91.

Objectives:
a.  Learn how traumatic object loss early in life can be
re-stimulated during the treatment process.

b.  Understand the etiologic significance of incomplete mourning that
sets the stage for later anniversary reactions.

c.  Identify the time-sensitive role of acting out in the
transference as an anniversary reaction.

_____

How to register:
Send email to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject line: AGPA Group Trauma Symposium

In the body of the email, please include your name, address and
telephone numbers.

That is all that you need to do. We will take care of the rest.
However...

IMPT: It is very important to include "Group Trauma Symposium" in the
subject line. There are other symposia currently going on and if you
don't tell us that you want the "Group Trauma Symposium" we won't
know which discussion you wish to "attend".

IMPT: If you attended AGPA's free symposium on "Group Interventions
After Trauma" please do not register again. You will automatically be
registered unless you have unsubscribed.

IMPT: If you do not wish to attend these symposia and DID attend the
"Group Interventions After Trauma" free symposia please send email
mailto:[log in to unmask] and tell us that you don't wish to attend.

Example:
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Remove from Group Trauma

That's all you have to do. We'll take care of the rest. After
notifying us we will send you more information about how to find the
associated texts and how to attend and participate in the symposium.

  _____

FAQ's

How does an online panel discussion work?
The discussion of the panelists takes place entirely via email. The
format emulates a face-to-face panel. You receive the comments of the
panelists as the conversation unfolds just as you would be listening
to panelists in a face-to-face situation -- the difference being that
the comments are in emails rather than oral. (See below for how you
can participate.)

It is not "realtime". That is, you can read the discussion whenever
you wish just as you do with any email.
---------

Are there CE credits and are these free?
There are continuing education credits available for free for AGPA members.

Non AGPA members may receive continuing education credits at
$10/credit. (The discussion is free but we have to charge for the
ceu's.)

At the end of the discussion you will be given instructions about
accessing our automated online testing center. There you take the
test, fill out an evaluation form, and print out your certificate.

Most of our discussions are valued at 8 ceu's.
---------

Can we, as members of the audience, participate?
Yes. If you wish to ask a question or make a comment you can email it
to the moderator who will then send it out as part of the discussion.
---------

What if we begin after the discussion begins?
You will be given instructions about how to access the archive of the
discussion where you will find the entire discussion up to the point
where you began.
---------

American Group Psychotherapy Association
25 East 21 St., 6th FL, New York, NY 10010
Phone: (212) 477-2677
Fax: (212) 979-6627
www.agpa.org

2003 Annual Meeting
February 18 - 23
"Creating Safe Space: An Opportunity for Groups in a Changing World"
New Orleans Marriott Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana