FLORIDABIRDS-L  September 2002

FLORIDABIRDS-L September 2002

Raymond E Smart <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:33:41 -0400

text/plain

Hi all,
This morning I took a quick run to Green key. Just the usual, only
warblers seen were Prairies. Very little on the beach except the Reddish
Egret that seems to frequent the area. Then I rode down Strauber Memorial
Hwy in New Port Richey to check out the sand flats, where I saw a flock
of 25 Roseate Spoonbills, 16 Wood Storks, and 5 Sandhill Cranes, along
with assorted other waders and peeps. Afterwards I drove to John Chestnut
Jr Park on Lake Tarpon again to see if the bird numbers had picked up
since yesterday. Only 2 warbler species, Pine and Parula, very slow. Saw
several Empids, 2 of them calling. One sounded like a Yellow-bellied and
the other a Willow. Also, several Red-eyed Vireos and 1 Yellow-throated
Vireo. Hope warbler numbers pick up soon. Maybe I should drive out to
Saddle Creek in Lakeland, judging by the recent postings!
Good birding,
Ray Smart
New Port Richey, FL