]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  September 2002

FLORIDABIRDS-L September 2002

Re: More about Bicknell's Thrush Recordings, & ABA Listing

Florida Nature Tours <[log in to unmask]>

Florida Nature Tours <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:31:45 -0400

text/plain

 David & all:

 I would like to add my 2 cents to this issue within the body of your note.

David Simpson wrote:

> Not quite so fast,
>
> I have discussed the issue of countability of birds that do not appear on
> official state lists with Father Tom of the ABA Checklist committee.  We
> concluded that ABA rules do allow for the counting of birds that are not on
> the "official" state list provided they are on the ABA Checklist.  This is
> not specifically stated in the rules, but is the result of not being
> disallowed.

      And there are several reasons for this: The most important is that all
      the state & provincial checklist committees do not have the same
criteria
      for species inclusion on their various "official" checklists. Some
require
      specimen evidence, others accept photographic or sound recordings, &
some
      will accept sight reports if they are convincing enough without any
hard
      evidence at all. A number of committees have gone back & forth on
their
      requirements over the years as well, & that means that different birds
on
      the same state or provincial checklist were accepted using deferent
      criteria on which to determine acceptance onto that list.

  The ABA rules are a bit of a mystery even to the ABA.  For
> example, Elegant tern in Florida.  If you saw the bird at Honeymoon Island
> in 1999, you could count it on your Florida list right away.  Elegant tern
> is on the ABA list, so you don't have to wait for the local committee to
> accept it.

      Also, on a similar note, when any taxonomic changes become official
AOU
      doctrine, they are automatically accepted on the ABA Checklist. So, a
      number of us get to put Black-crested Titmouse back on our lifelists.
      And, that's even if the OK, NM & TX checklist committees never put it
on
      their respective "official" state lists.

  Some folks wait for the local committee before counting the
> birds on their local lists.  One reason for this is that the thresholds for
> listing are based on the official lists (e.g. records committee lists where
> there is a records committee.)  Reporting birds on your list that do not
> appear on the local list undermines the credibility of that system.

      Actually it's not the threshold for listing that is based on the
official
      list, but the threshold that you must reach before you can submit your
      totals to ABA for publication in their annual ABA List Report. For
example,
      you need to have recorded on your personal Florida State Lifelist at
least
      50% of the total number of species on the "official" Florida List for
you
      to have submitted a list total back on Dec. 31th last. At that time
the
      Florida list was calculated to be 485, & the lowest number printed
there is
      242. This system is screwed up to an extent anyhow. For example, the
ABA
      area total is 921, & you need a minimum of 500 on your ABA area
lifelist
      to submit, more than 50% for that category, & guess what, there are
birds
      that are on "official" state & provincial lists that are not on the
ABA
      Checklist. An example that springs to mind is a bird that is on our
own
      "official" Florida Checklist but is not on the ABA Checklist, the
Cuban
      Pewee.

  I do
> not personally subscribe to that philosophy (I have two birds on my Florida
> list that are not on the official list.)

       Me Too!

  When it comes to established
> exotics, it gets really confusing.  Can you say Muscovy duck?  I don't have
> time to get into that right now.

       I'll give it a minute. When an exotic species pops up in the ABA Area
       (The US & Canada), for the first time, the ABA will usually wait for
       the local committee to add it to their checklist before they even
       worry about it. So, the Florida committee says that the Eurasian
       Collared-Dove is now established in Florida & it goes on the state
list.
       The ABA Checklist Committee takes a look at the evidence & agrees
       with Florida, adds it to the ABA list, & now you can put it on your
       lifelist if you see it in Florida & submit it as part of your list
       totals for the ABA Area, the Lower 48, The United States,
Photographed-
       ABA Area, North America, & total ticks. Now as the bird expands it's
       range northward & reaches Duval Co. & then Nassau Co. the birders in
       GA are waiting for it to expand into their state. This is where some
       common sense & a little bit of knowledge of the species will come in
       handy. If our GA birder finds the dove in Kingsland GA just across
the
       Florida line & less than 10 miles from where they nested the year
       before, there isn't much doubt that this a range extenuation from an
       acknowledged established population in a neighboring state. This
would
       be countable on your GA list totals & the other lists (except Fl)
that I
       listed above. The ABA does not care what the GA committee, or the SC
       committee or all the other state & provincial committees have to say
       as the bird moves north. It's up to you to decide if you think the
bird
       you see in Atlanta is good. This is where it would probably be a good
       idea to wait until your local committee rules on exotics expanding
       into your area. The doves have now reached NM & CO, but a few birds
that
       were found in BC were discovered to have been local escapes & not
       range extenders.

> As to Bicknell's thrush, according to Stevenson and Anderson, "both races
> [bicknelli and minimus of Gray-cheeked thrush at the time] have been
> collected in Florida."  "There are five specimens from Panama City and WCTV
> [television tower] 18 Oct and 1 May (FSU, FLMNH)".  At an FOS meeting a few
> years back, I remember a skin quiz in which one of these Bicknell's thrushes
> showed up.  I must admit that I called it a Veery, duh.  After the papers
> were turned in, a couple of us slipped the covers off the tags, and there it
> was, Catharus minimus bicknelli.  Interestingly, the birds was IDed as a
> Gray-cheeked thrush according to the key.  This is one of the reasons that I
> don't subscribe to the official Florida list.  Can't you guys read?
> Additionally, according to one study
> http://birds.cornell.edu/pifcapemay/evans_rosenberg.htm, Bicknell's thrushes
> have been recorded flying over Florida.  I don't have time now to read the
> whole study right now, so I am relying on others' information on this point.
> Given this evidence, it is a mystery to me why the species does not
> currently appear on the checklist.  I have seen a Bicknell's thrush, based
> on morphological traits, in the keys last May.  Given that the bird did not
> call and I was not able to measure it, I did not count it.  When or if I
> hear one flying over this fall (after I get my CD of nocturnal flight calls)
> I will add it to my Florida list.
>
> David Simpson
> Fellsmere, FL

        I've seen the bird in the Dry Tortugas, & I recall that Parks Small
        banded one in NW Orange Co. a few years ago.

        Wes Biggs
        Florida Nature Tours, Orlando  407/363-1360  [log in to unmask]
        http://www.floridanaturetours.com   ABA sponsored