ADMIN: Bottom banner -- PLEASE USE

Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:14:14 -0400

text/plain

Hi,

I have crammed as much information as I possibly can in the bottom banner so
you can manage your subscription yourself.  And many of you do.  For which I
thank you.  With the size of this list, it would be very difficult for me to
handle all of the multitude of things that fit your needs on a day-to-day
basis if you did not help by doing the things that apply to you personally.
Even an army of staffers would find it hard to do.

To the end of facilitating the list, please look at the bottom banner
attached to this message and I will walk you through.

     1)  The first item gives you the link to the welcome message and, more
importantly, at this point at least now that you are subscribed,  the policy
statement.  I have been disappointed that some of even the most learned of
you have failed to read that message and have just gone by the "rule do,"
whether it was allowed or not.  Please do us all the courtesy of
familiarizing yourself with it.  Your presence here is based on your abiding
by the policy set out there..  To access it, just click on the link.  At the
bottom of the opening page is another link for subscribers' information,
including unsubscription information.  Many, however, read this message I am
now writing and all others on Jack Siler's birdmail
(http://Birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html) and the many other links available,
and it is for them that the subscription info is given.  I plan to add to
the website other links as the occasions arise.  In this connection, perhaps
you would like to give me suggestions about what other links you might like
to have on FLORIDABIRDS' website.

     2) The second link takes you directly to the archives.  The page that
comes up first is the list of  "logs" where the messages are stored by the
month.  You can click on any month you see and get all of the messages
organized by topic for that particular month.  Then, more importantly (to
me), individual searches can be done by clicking on "Search the archives"
which I have explained several times previously.

    3) The third link assists you in setting your account to NOMAIL, used as
one word for ease of computer use.  This command places your account in a
state of dormancy with no mail sent to you until you want it to wake up
again and start getting messages.  It keeps you from having to resubscribe
and go through that circus again.  You can keep it set permanently to "no
mail" if you wish, but I advise you, based on my own experience, not to do
it if you want to keep up with the list.  There is more a sense of urgency
when you get the messages directly and you are less likely to just overlook
reading them.  Important things happen and you are more likely to miss them.
However, everyone to his own; it is your choice how you get your mail.

All you have to do to go nomail, is CLICK ON the Mailto: address for
Listserv, and a mailer form from your mailer will pop up already addressed.
The command is given to you following that and all you have to do is type in
the words that are on the same line, inserting them into to body of the
message: set floridabirds-l nomail.   No subject; no signature.

I have explained on the next line how to get back on regular mail.  Just do
the same but remove the "no" and make it:  set floridabirds-l mail.

The word "nomail" can also be deleted and  either of these  commands used in
its place:  digest, index, mail .

   4) And the last line gives the generic address for reaching me and any
co-listowners I may add.  Just click on it and write what you want to.  It
does NOT go to the list.  I would prefer if you are writing about the list
to send it to that address as any co-listowners could get it if I am away
for any reason.  If I do not answer your mail from my personal address,
please send it to the "request" address.
                                    *  *  *  *  *

I know many of you already use the aids I have set out in the bottom banner,
and I am very pleased.  I will not, because of the sheer magnitude and an
occasional absence, handle your secretarial work for you, except in a dire
emergency, and if you wish to participate in the list, you must do it
yourself.  It is so easy when you do it, but multiply that by 670 and it can
be a real job.  I do want you to contact me through the "request" address
any time you want any questions answered, however.  Even asking me how to do
any of these things.  It is a courtesy I will expect and extend to you in
return.  It is not proper for you to send such matters to the list.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me by taking care of your own
subscriptions.  It was a lot harder before I added the bottom banner.

ONE OTHER THING:  When you reply to a previous post on the list using the
reply button, PLEASE DELETE the bottom banner (and as much as possible of
the message you are answering), to avoid unneeded use of archive space.  It
doesn't happen too often, but lately I saw one post that had three bottom
banners on it.

I am listening to the reading of the names of those who died at the World
Trade Center as I write this.  A good friend of mind was there on the 78th
floor of  the first building hit one year ago who was thankfully able, not
only to get out, but to help others.  You will forgive this off-topic
comment, I hope.

Barbara Passmore
Listowner, FLORIDABIRDS-L
Please send any reply or comment, not to the list,
but to me at [log in to unmask]

--
Barbara Passmore