Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: NYTimes.com Article: Nu Shortcuts in School R 2 Much 4 Teachers

Craig Andres <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:37:55 -0400

text/plain

The funny thing is that this has happened before. In mathematics much of the
notation was basically to remove english words from the flow of a proof or
solution. Phrases such as "therefore", "there exists", "there exists a unique", "is
a subset of", "such that", "is an element of", "thus the theorem is proved", "by
contradiction" etc, all have been given single character symbols in mathematics. Of
course it took longer to develop than the IM shorthand. Fortunately I never tried
to use any of those symbols in my writing assignments.

Norman Stahl wrote:

> >This article from NYTimes.com
> >has been sent to you by [log in to unmask]
> >

> >Nu Shortcuts in School R 2 Much 4 Teachers
> >
> >September 19, 2002
> >By JENNIFER 8. LEE
> >

> >EACH September Jacqueline Harding prepares a classroom
> >presentation on the common writing mistakes she sees in her
> >students' work.
> >
> >Ms. Harding, an eighth-grade English teacher at Viking
> >Middle School in Guernee, Ill., scribbles the words that
> >have plagued generations of schoolchildren across her
> >whiteboard:
> >
> >There. Their. They're.
> >
> >Your. You're.
> >
> >To. Too. Two.
> >
> >Its. It's.
> >
> >This September, she has added
> >a new list: u, r, ur, b4, wuz, cuz, 2.
> >
> >When she asked her students how many of them used shortcuts
> >like these in their writing, Ms. Harding said, she was not
> >surprised when most of them raised their hands. This, after
> >all, is their online lingua franca: English adapted for the
> >spitfire conversational style of Internet instant
> >messaging.
> >
> >Ms. Harding, who has seen such shortcuts creep into student
> >papers over the last two years, said she gave her students
> >a warning: "If I see this in your assignments, I will take
> >points off."
> >
> >"Kids should know the difference," said Ms. Harding, who
> >decided to address this issue head-on this year. "They
> >should know where to draw the line between formal writing
> >and conversational writing."
> >
> >As more and more teenagers socialize online, middle school
> >and high school teachers like Ms. Harding are increasingly
> >seeing a breezy form of Internet English jump from e-mail
> >into schoolwork. To their dismay, teachers say that papers
> >are being written with shortened words, improper
> >capitalization and punctuation, and characters like &, $
> >and @.
> >
> >Teachers have deducted points, drawn red circles and
> >tsk-tsked at their classes. Yet the errant forms continue.
> >"It stops being funny after you repeat yourself a couple of
> >times," Ms. Harding said.
> >
> >But teenagers, whose social life can rely as much these
> >days on text communication as the spoken word, say that
> >they use instant-messaging shorthand without thinking about
> >it. They write to one another as much as they write in
> >school, or more.
> >
> >"You are so used to abbreviating things, you just start
> >doing it unconsciously on schoolwork and reports and other
> >things," said Eve Brecker, 15, a student at Montclair High
> >School in New Jersey.
> >
> >Ms. Brecker once handed in a midterm exam riddled with
> >instant-messaging shorthand. "I had an hour to write an
> >essay on Romeo and Juliet," she said. "I just wanted to
> >finish before my time was up. I was writing fast and
> >carelessly. I spelled `you' `u.' " She got a C.
> >
> >Even terms that cannot be expressed verbally are making
> [...]
send a message to [log in to unmask]
In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST.

July 2021
June 2021