]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  September 2002

RECMGMT-L September 2002

Re: query about "control of use" of city or town seals

WHITMARSH Tanya <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:01:56 +1000

text/plain

Paul

This concern is intriguing.  When you talk about "seals" are you referring
to an official coat of arms or something that is normally affixed to an
official document such as a contract?  Perhaps they look the same.

I am used to working with local authorities that have a "common seal" which
is reserved for things like deeds of agreement.  These authorities also have
a "coat of arms" which may be more a reflection of our British heritage -
the active use of these has declined dramatically in the last 10 or 20 years
as a means of corporate identification and are normally reserved for special
civic and ceremonial matters.  What is very common now is a third level of
corporate identity in the form of a logo and / or a stylised signature which
Councils may or may not have registered for corporate branding purposes.  It
is the last type of corporate identity that is mostly widely used and tends
to appear on things like fleet, properties and most communication
instruments.

For example, when I worked at the City of Ryde it had an official coat of
arms based upon a cornucopia design along with images of early settlers and
farming implements.  This reflected the heritage of the area which was the
third oldest settlement in Australia and an important source of food for the
infant colony of NSW.  In the early 1990's it largely gave way to a logo
which featured a white capital R in unicorn font within a solid green circle
[can't remember the particular Pantone colour code].  The "City of Lifestyle
Technology" phrase was copyrighted along with the logo but has not been used
nearly as extensively as the logo.  We reaffirmed our official corporate
colours of green and silver but we continued to use a very simple looking
red seal to imprint things like contracts and deeds.

Use of the Ryde logo by other bodies is only permitted with the knowledge of
Council or one of its responsible officers such as the Mayor, Chief
Executive or Public Relations Officer.  It would normally only appear in
things like industry publications or where the Council was a co-sponsor of
something.  I am certainly aware of the odd transgression which was quickly
jumped on - usually it was just a case of failing to communicate properly
rather than inappropriate use.

To me this is an area that depends on firm corporate governance.  Local
authorities are increasingly adopting business and commercial frameworks
that mean that they need to be conscientious about developing and protecting
their identity and image.  This was something that was underlined in our
corporate values document at Ryde.

By the way, an interesting sideline to the logo and signature theme was the
Sydney 2000 Olympics.  Ryde was able to temporarily incorporate an Olympic
theme into the unicorn font based signature but we had to get special
permission [I think it was from the Sydney Olympic Coordinating Committee as
a representative of the IOC] just to use the Olympic colours.  I think we
even needed this permission to be able to reproduce the Olympic symbol as
garden planting at the Civic Centre [it became a nice DIY feature on the
Better Homes and Gardens television program].  This is an example of an
increasing trend towards incorporating special themes reflecting events or
campaigns officially associated with an organisation.  We did something
similar in 1992 to highlight to bicentenary of Ryde settlement.

Oh, and just to confuse the issue a little more, I am seeing more local
authorities adopting separate logos and other branding images associated
with particular initiatives or production units of the organisation (e.g.
safe cities; environmental planning; bushland management; infrastructure
service operations).  Sometimes these feature elements of the main corporate
identity and sometimes they are companions that could be based on something
as simple as the image of a frog.

Regards

Tanya Whitmarsh
Recordkeeping System Business Analyst
Logistic and Facility Services
Roads and Traffic Authority
Level 3, Octagon Building
99 Phillip Street, PARRAMATTA  NSW  2150
PO Box 3035, PARRAMATTA  NSW  2124
Ph (02) 8837 0318  Fax (02) 8837 0030
http://rta.nsw.gov.au

DISCLAIMER:  Material and opinions contained within are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent in whole or in part the position of
the RTA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee.  It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistaken transmission to you.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to
this e-mail or attachment to it.