Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  September 2002

SOCNET September 2002

Re: Comparing networks "concordance"

"Raymond V. Liedka" <[log in to unmask]>

Raymond V. Liedka

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:29:15 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

How about:

Faust, Katherine, and John Skvoretz. 2002. "Comparing Networks Across
Space and Time, Size and Species," Sociological Methodology vol 32,
pp.267-299.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Gavin Hougham wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Let's say one generated a 500x500 sparsely filled matrix by method A
> (citation references, say), and other 500x500 matrices (of the same
> objects) by methods B, C, D.... Z (say, by post-hoc expert ratings on some
> defined criteria).  Each of the n matrices can be separately described by
> the usual set of networks metrics (e.g., to find clusters, cliques, and so
> on...).
>
> Would folks kindly direct me to some readings or examples of how to compare
> the differently generated matrices of the same objects? If this was a
> rating or concordance exercise (say in radiology), kappa-class statistics
> might be used to compare the ratings of different referees of the same
> objects ("yes, this film shows pathology"/"no, it doesn't").  What are
> similar approaches in SNA to describing networks concordance?
>
> Hope I'm not missing the obvious, here.  Many thanks,,,,
>
> Gavin Hougham

Raymond V. Liedka
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology