Bald Pt./ Western Tanager/ 13 OCT 02

Jack Dozier <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:57:35 -0400

text/plain

I'm certain now I saw a F Western Tanager late this afternoon near the end
of the road at Bald Pt..  I've been studying all the books, and Sibley's
pale adult female is a dead ringer.  I saw the yellow vent, and the yellow
head, the wing bars, and the whitish "stuff" (secondaries?) behind the
bars.  The belly and lower breast were dingy whitish.  I saw the bill
extremely well to distinguish it from an oriole.  It was a tanager bill.  I
lost the bird in the beach side oaks about 100 yards from the end of Bald Pt.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL