Another take on the FOS meeting (late)

Jeff Bouton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:21:06 -0400

text/plain

All,

I diligently sat down at my computer and began writing of my misadventures at the FOS meeting at the beginning of this month upon my return, but got sidetracked and saved it for a day with more time. I rediscovered it half written today and was going to scrap it when I thought, "What the hey, people are probably just about recovered from the headaches they suffered after my last tome, why not torture them again?!?...." So....

I left shortly after sunrise Friday morning, and followed my habitual path down from the piney scrub of Port Charlotte, south over the Peace and Caloosahatchee Rivers with a quick cut through the outskirts of Naples and back onto 41, where I can still enjoy the magic of Everglades basin. I had barely begun on 41 when I ran into my first resident goodie, a female Snail Kite (in an interesting sub adult plumage) sat on a pole less than 5 miles from the intersection with 951. She allowed me stop directly across from her, set up a scope, and enjoy thoroughly enjoy her odd plumage as cars and trucks zipped between us buffetting me and the scope with blasts of displaced air.

The next stop, as always, was the board walk at Fakahatchee Strand. It was remarkably unbuggy, and I was able to enjoy each bird and critter I saw in this marvelous old hammock: White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireo, Tufted Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Magnolia Warbler, Prairie Warblers, Northern Parula, Black & Whites, Yellow-throated to Yellowthroats, all the regulars were in place. Great Crested Flys "wheeped", while Red-bellieds, Flickers, Downies, and Pileateds picked away. A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks consumated their bond on the branches of one of the large trees right above the boardwalk while I gawked along with another couple with their daughter. I was surprised that they would be engaging in that activity now, but then remembered I have seen them incubating in November in the past. Redstarts flashed their tails from side to side at all angles here. There were also Deer hiding in the woods, Raccoons, and young Gators calling from below the boardwalk.

After killing an hour or perhaps two, I sauntered back to my car and turned back into a more forgiving sun. A few more miles and a stop for an odd lump at roadside. Running back I was able to put a name to the odd ochre-colored lump. An American Bittern was dead at roadside, and I picked it up to admire its beautiful plumage. This beauty was following a genetically predetermined course plotted years earlier. Unfortunately for this bird (now freshly dead) there were no roads then. I laid it back down for the raccoons and American Crows to share. Who knows, at this marshy crossing a Gator or snapper might even find it.

I stopped as always to view more Snail Kites, Limpkin at the one airboat spot. You know the one where the shrubs have closed ever so slightly and the grass grows just a bit lower in that little plain... You have to look closely to appreciate the subtle differences but they are there I assure you, and the Apple Snails are the proof in the pudding. Next stop, as always, I swung into the Shark valley entrance. I got out and scanned up and down the canal before the entrance for a Purple Gallinule feeding on the pads. No luck this time and there is an idling tractor trailer carrying a crane to boot, so I can't hear either. I move on quicker than usual.

A turn down Krome Ave. and head for Homestead. As always I unwittingly add White-winged Dove and the non-established, ubiquitous Common Mynah to the trip list. At the south end of Krome, I decide I'd better go visit Lucky Hammock since I'm so close. It's mid-day and hot. I find two odd little empidonax; big-headed things which suggest Least Flys but they dissapear into the hammock before I'm afforded good views. More of the same here, Courting Red-shouldereds, Black & White, Parula, Yellow-throated, Yellowthroats, Prairie, Magnolia, female Black-throated Blue. Here I see my FOTS Harrier and the Kestrels are already in force! A good indication that Hawk Migration is in full swing. Oh yeah and then there was that flock of Painted Buntings. I counted 9 green, 1 Red. Sorry, Wes, I saw them too and didn't report them as anything unusual. Not because I'm accustomed to seeing them here in Port Charlotte (never have), but because I've never missed them at Lucky. The flock was around back in the tall grass growing into the hammock on the side opposite the road.

Now I was at Jack's place getting ready to cross the card sound bridge. Merlins started to show. One here one there, it was near 3:00 PM..... Non birding friends and co-workers often ask, "You went to the keys? How long did it take?...." I give them the only answer I can, " D'you mean how long it took ME or how quick could I have gotten there?...." They couldn't possibly understand. I wanted to explore more, but it was time to act like one of these Merlins and get where I was going. I'd been asked to show a few slides at the opening ceremony in Marathon and I still had to stop and register at the campground at Long Key Park and clean up a bit, so I wasn't a stinky mess over beer and slides! The entire time I had an eye to the sky and was treated with views of Coops, Peregrines, and Merlins. Good stuff!

After a quick slide review of Accipiters and Falcons. Gerard set the record straight on those who still had any doubt as to the identity of the Slaty-backed Gull, we saw some GREAT shots of Flutterbys, and Wes Biggs projected a tiny yellow "X" on the screen.... (wish I'd brought my binocs!)

Then it was off to bed. I spent a fantastic evening listening to the calls of the shorebirds feeding on the flats nearby, but there was nary a sound from the sky indicating any migrant activity. The next morning I broke camp, birded around a bit, and then made plans to meet Arlyne and Charlie back in Marathon. As I drove toward them I watched a Peregrine on the hunt and decided to make the supreme sacrifice! I opted to pass on the state bird of a lifetime which was only an hour away to stay in Marathon and enjoy a hawk migration. I hadn't witnessed a raptor migration since moving to FL 4 years ago, and I was ready to enjoy this one to the max. I was lucky enough to also have the privilege of visiting a hawk trapping station (thanks again gang!) and was able to see a Peregrine up close and personal, and I have no regrets about missing the gull. Casey gave a fact-filled presentation that evening and we looked for some KARAOKE to no avail, before calling it a night once again.

The next morning I was among those who braved the elements for the pelagic out of Islamorada. I think you have heard the rest, but I wanted to point out an element that was fascinating to me. The winds that morning started out light and steady out of the ENE and as we made our way out we would run into numerous small groups of migrating raptors. Most were Sharp-shinneds making the arduous water crossing low over the water tacking on this light cross wind. It was fascinating to see these relatively weak flyers out there. At one point we were due east of the first structure we were to visit heading straight into a stronger east wind, when we encountered a flock of 13 Sharp-shinned/Cooper's types heading due south. It was great to see these birds flapping hard within 20 foot of the water's surface. Cuba or bust .... big time! If the winds, or fatigue didn't get them, the Peregrines, Gulls, and Frigatebirds patrolling the North shores of Cuba surely would. That close to the water any sign of weakness could mean being driven into the drink. It was an amazing spectacle to watch, and this added a fascinating element to my raptor experience this weekend. A true tangible example, of the true life struggle that is migration.

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new. I hope all enjoyed it as much as I did!

Good Birding,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL